Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Sky Upgrades On The Way

Options
  • 18-08-2003 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

From Tracy Swedlow's ITVT Update :

Sky to Conduct Major Upgrades of Set-Top Box Software
    BSkyB, the company behind the UK's SkyDigital satellite-TV platform, is soon to conduct 2 major software upgrades of its set-top boxes. The first upgrade, which will affect all Sky boxes, will implement a new encryption standard from NDS, and introduce new features such as 2- button access to Sky's subtitles/closed-caption service. (Note: activation/de-activation of the subtitles service currently involves accessing and changing options on EPG menus, and thus takes viewers away from the program they were watching.) The second upgrade will finally allow subscribers who are equipped with the Sky+ DVR to record programming from 2 different channels at the same time, while either watching one of those channels or a previously recorded program. This "dual recording" functionality was actually first promised by Sky 11 months ago.

The security upgrade, on which Sky has reportedly spent over £100 million, and which has entailed issuing new viewing cards to all subscribers, is being closely watched by the UK television industry. This is because the approximately 700,000 UK households that own a satellite receiver but do not subscribe to Sky's service will lose access to the digital transmissions of ITV1, Channel 4 and Channel 5 as a result of the upgrade. Around 367,000 of those households are former Sky customers whose subscription has lapsed, while around 333,000 of them are users of "Solus" viewing cards. The BBC used to issue Solus cards, which decrypt free-to-air analog terrestrial channels that are broadcast on Sky's satellite system, in order to make its channels available to owners of satellite receivers who are not Sky subscribers. (Note: in some parts of the UK, analog terrestrial reception is so poor that the only way to receive the UK's 5 analog terrestrial channels is via satellite.) However, the Corporation has ceased its support of the Solus card, now that it is broadcasting its channels unencrypted on the Astra 2D satellite (see [itvt] Issue 4.98 3/12/03). The UK government has new powers, contained in the recently passed Communications Act, to force the free-to-air broadcast of the UK's analog terrestrial channels on all platforms, but it is unclear whether it will use these. It is also unclear whether the Independent Television Network will--as some have called on it to do--step in and support the issue of new Solus cards that would be compatible with Sky's new encryption system.

The Sky+ upgrade, meanwhile, has apparently been plagued by problems associated with the EPG menu structure and functionality needed to ensure ease-of-use and avoid recording conflicts. What was originally expected to be the final software release seems to still be causing technical headaches in testing, and Sky is now indicating to subscribers that dual recording will not be available on the Sky+ box until October.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Why oh why cant they give a previous channel button (use the bloody green button or something) so you can flick back between two channels without having to hit three keys.
    Not difficult and surely VERY easy to implement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jim02

So does that mean that I won't be able to get channels 3, 4 and 5 on my old Sky box if I get a card for Free-to-view?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Jim02
    So does that mean that I won't be able to get channels 3, 4 and 5 on my old Sky box if I get a card for Free-to-view?

those cards aren't being issued anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

what does all that in the first thread mean in point form please
    And will it effect new FTV cards

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by TIPPTOP
    what does all that in the first thread mean in point form please
    And will it effect new FTV cards
    It's not as though it's written in gibberish.

OK then.
    • The encryption standard will change. We've all known about this for over six months
    • Turning subtitles on and off will be easier. This is good.
    • Sky+ users will finally be able to record two shows at once. Sky have been promising this for the guts of a year
    • Second paragraph is mostly bumpf. Some people <cough>ITV</cough> want the ITC to step in and stop Sky turning off the version 1 solus cards, even though ITV never paid a penny for them

It doesn't directly affect version 2 FTV cards in any way. Sky may or may not still turn them off - the above story doesn't affect this at all so the situation with regard to these cards is just as much guesswork as it has ever been.

• Advertisement

those cards aren't being issued anymore
    So let me get this straight.

I have an old DigiBox that I want to put upstairs and acccess FTV programmes. Are you saying that I can't get a card to do this - in effect, that my old DigiBox is useless unless I subscribe to pay channels and get a card that way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

So let me get this straight.

I have an old DigiBox that I want to put upstairs and acccess FTV programmes. Are you saying that I can't get a card to do this - in effect, that my old DigiBox is useless unless I subscribe to pay channels and get a card that way?

Welcome to the board. The FTV card issue has been discussed to death on here, so if you use the search button or simply look for a thread relating to the BBC going FTA you will get all the information you're looking for. I posted this thread more for the subtitle / Sky+ stuff as that is new information.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Hi Jim02, you may be lost in the meaning of some terms.

FTV = Free-to-view = The old solus card system, organised by the BBC, as to let people watch the UK terrestrials for free. These cards had standard Sky encryption.

FTA = Free-to-air channels, not encrypted, available without a need for a subscription or card.

The FTV "solus" card system closed when the BBC went FTA in July, so if you wanted one, you cant get one. Those with Version 1 solus cards (the old type Sky ones which Sky replaced for subscription customers earlier this year) will be deactivated by this software update as announced above. Those with Version 2 solus cards, i.e. ones which look like the new type Sky sub cards, are up in the air, we dont know whats going to happen with that.

In your situation, your old Digibox is not useless, you can get all the BBC channels FTA, as well as all the other channels that are subscription free.

Thanks DMC, that's made things a lot clearer!

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It has been pointed out that:

ITV pays MILLIONS for encryption

Encryption without Cards is useless

The existing Type1 Cards already paid for.

Sky could use existing Encryption on Type1 (3 FTV channels only) and new Encryption on Type 2 Cards.

This is not a Technical or Financial issue, but Marketing effort on Sky's part to get some of the 370,000 lapsed subscribers and some of the 360,000 never subscriber FTV card holders to take a new sub.

Even the cost to actually run the FTV centre and issue new cards is a tiny fraction of what ITV pay for Encryption.

Encryption of ITV, C4 and Five costs Sky Nothing At All. This is a separate charge from either EPG or Carriage (Transmission).

The existing type cards paid for ON TOP of charge of running FTV center and Encryption at £12 EACH (82% by BBC, 12% by Five/Ch4). Real cost about £2 or less.

The EPG costs Sky very little, yet as more channels have been added the cost to broadcasters has tripled.

This is what happens when you have a monopoly and the UK ITC/Of(com)tel won't even bark.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Ludo
    Why oh why cant they give a previous channel button (use the bloody green button or something) so you can flick back between two channels without having to hit three keys.
    Not difficult and surely VERY easy to implement.

What about an easier way to switch between 16:9 and 4:3 displays. I wish the box could automatically change depending on the format being used by the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

It already does. If you have a widescreen TV, set the digibox to 16:9, and Scart control to on.

You may have to fiddle with the widescreen setting on your TV but the box definately handle WS switching.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    It already does. If you have a widescreen TV, set the digibox to 16:9, and Scart control to on.

You may have to fiddle with the widescreen setting on your TV but the box definately handle WS switching.

looks like I'll have to fiddle about some more. Hasn't worked for me so far.

Advertisement