Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

occassional nuisance with SKY reception

Options
  • 15-08-2003 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭

This may have been discussed before, so I apologise in advance if it has.

I have noticed that when it rains heavily, my SKY reception breaks up (particularly if the rain is blowing in the direction of the dish). Sometimes it is just a minor break up in picture, but other times I lose reception completely.

I have asked a couple of friends about this, one has experienced the same problem and another has never experienced it.

Anyone got any info on this and any tips on how it might be avoided [ obviously it hasn't been a problem recently given the weather we've had ].

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If alignment is slightly off then moderate rain pixelates or freezes picture.

A well aligned dish only freezes/pixellates in VERY heavy rain.

A bigger dish is better.

I have seen some Limerick addresses with the smaller zone1 dish. BAD. Your dish should be the normal Irish size of 65cm.

An 80cm or 90 cm dish is better still

A while back it rained like a tropical rain and we had instant flooding. Even on the 80cm and 90cm dishes we lost EVERY satellite completly for nearly ten minutes. In my memory I only ever saw rain like that once before, in Ohio in 1984. I had to stop car then as I couldn't see. This was about 4.30 pm in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭eigrod

Thanks for the reply W.

The installation was carried out by SKY's own authorised dealer in my area (nth Co. Wicklow) - I ordered directly from SKY.

Thus I can only assume it is aligned correctly. It has happened about 3 times since December 2002 and it was during relatively heavy downpours. It isn't a major problem, I just fear that some day during a very important football game it's going to go belly-up and much anger and frustration will ensue :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

if you are still within your 1st year then ring Sky up and demand that it be fixed before they can charge you

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I re-aligned mine 5 minutes after the Sky installer left and got a better signal.

First rule of Technology debugging: Assume Nothing.

Second rule: Those designing Idiot proof systems under estimate the ingenouity of Idiots.

Third rule: The fault all a long was something ruled out at the start as imposible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭eigrod

many thanks guys, you've given me more info & advice then I ever expected.

I will be contacting SKY presently as I have 4 months left on my 1st year.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

If you ordered from Sky directly then you got "Sierra" not a local installer. Unfortunately some of their installers do not use best practice on installations.

Tony

Originally posted by eigrod
    many thanks guys, you've given me more info & advice then I ever expected.

I will be contacting SKY presently as I have 4 months left on my 1st year.

Thanks again.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Advertisement