Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a 16 track ?

Options
  • 15-08-2003 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

Brothers looking to get a 16 track that records onto CD's.

New or second hand.

Or would it be better to spend the same price on a PC with a €300 sound card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Smiler

Probably would be better to get a P.C

You have much more control, but I dunno if you'lld get a great soundcard for that money.

You'd want something that has full duplex on 4 - 8 chanels so you can record more then one thing and listen back at the same time.

We used to use one of these.

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw6_artikel-156862.html?sn=70769b3aa60b6cabaabf27b664fba097

Pretty good but only 18 bit recording. If you want great quality your gonna have to go into the 24bit range. Like this

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw6_artikel-144202.html?sn=70769b3aa60b6cabaabf27b664fba097

Or you could bite the bullet completly and get a Pro Tools rig. A Digi 001. Play with the big boys or so they say :D

http://www.digitalvillage.co.uk/dv/aproduct.asp?id3=91

Same price range as the Layla 24 but you get a version of Pro Tools LE (Multitrack/editing saoftware) with it.

I dunno how much you'dd pay for a 16 track recorder, but I think a P.C is a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

A digital 16 track of any quality is looking at the guts of 2000, and it's pointless if you're just recording rock demos.

Try a 8 track, the Boss BR-1180 is fantastic. Should get it for just over 1000 and you don't even need the manual it's so easy to use and master stuff with.

Sure you can bounce tracks pretty easy with a digital 8 track, so you won't need much extra tracks.

I'd look into getting a PA as well, for drums and the like, as it only has 2 simultanous inputs.

Do not get Zoom 8 tracks no matter what extras you think they might have. I tried recording some drums for a friend with it as it had 6 track simul recording, and they sounded rubbish. Was using good mikes aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

check out Matchetts in Belfast for some competitive prices

I've bought several things there and found their prices and service is good. They will ship stuff too. They're in central Belfast beside City Hall, I think. The place where Clinton spoke some years ago.

Price for the Boss is 639 Stg or 900 Euro. Bought a Fostex MR-8 a few months ago.

Their prices are pretty good compared to what you would get south of the border.
    Wonder if the Yamaha AW16-G is of any use.
    Seems a bit "toyish" or something.

That Yamaha AW16-G seems to be getting good reviews, but having not used one, they're nearly 2 grand down here, I can't be sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement