Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weehhh!!! An Irish Buddhist forum!

Options
  • 13-08-2003 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Don't know how I never found this before.

My name is Mick - Tibetan Buddhist - attend the Kagyu Samye Dzong Buddhist Centre in Kilmainham.
    Webmaster of www.buddhism.ie.

According the last census there were 3894 buddhists in Ireland - glad to see someone thought of a forum for us to talk to one another.
    Fair play Yoda!

Enough embarrassing newbie intro post.

best,
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

You might now have found it earlier because it wasn't here before 2003-08-07. We're a week old tomorrow.

Welcome. Tell your friends. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mickmacdublin

Only a week old - that would explain it so.

Still a good idea and I hope it takes off.

I normally lurk in the techie boards but for some reason decided to look in community boards and there ye were.

looking forward to some good discussions

Mick

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If you're the webmaster of buddhism.ie why not link to us (and we'll link back in a sticky). I'll leave this in your (and Yoda's) capable hands.

DeV.

Great idea, DeVore. I have added a Links section to the Charter.

Unfortunately the site has a policy of only linking to kagyu sites on our links page but maybe I can put it in the next edition of our newsletter. We have to be careful about any sites we are seen to endorse.

BTW I do not speak on behalf of buddhism.ie or KSD Buddhist centre - I just do the site any thing I say here is on my own behalf only

As regards the centre list - you left a couple of fairly big centres out.

www.jampaling.org - Jampa Ling Buddhist centre in Bawnboy, Co. Cavan. Tibetan Gelug tradition. Teacher is Panchen Otrul Rinpoche.

www.rigpa.ie - site for Sogyal Rinpoche's centres and particular for Dzogchen Beara retreat centre in Allihies in West Cork - Tibetan Nyingma tradition.

www.sunyatacentre.com - I think this centre is associated with Amaravati Monastery in England and the Thai Forest Theravada tradition. Although I think they offer space to other groups also.

There is also a site run by another (kagyu) friend of mine who lives in West Cork - it is not linked to a centre but it has lots of photos and few essays and stuff - www.chagchen.org

Mick

• Advertisement

The discussion forum on Boards.ie is neither Kagyu nor non-Kagyu. You might ask the site owners.

I added those three links, but it seemed to me that the Chagchen site was a bit personal, and I worry that there could be a great many of those out there. So I didn't include it.

You are no doubt right with regard to Alex's site.

I just threw it in as another irish buddhist site

Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Oh [...] link the site up...

It will create some excellent discussions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

I am looking for a list of Buddhist centres in Ireland. Does anyone know where I can find this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Welcome Mick, I have attended many sittings in Inchicore with Donal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Yoda wrote: »
    You might now have found it earlier because it wasn't here before 2003-08-07. We're a week old tomorrow.
    Huh? A week old! Is this a Zen Koan test:)
    Welcome also Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Asiaprod wrote: »
    Huh? A week old! Is this a Zen Koan test:)
    Welcome also Mick

That post was made five years ago AP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

That post was made five years ago AP :)

Shush, I know:p I'm feeling devilish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MrLopez

Yep, an Irish Buddhist Forum but not very active I'd say...

Does anybody know of any other site/forum a bit more active?

Advertisement