Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swap old FTV for new only £9.99

Options
  • 11-08-2003 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

Here's a thread I found on another forum

There have been postings about subscribing to a 3rd party to get the FTV channels, but no-one confirmed it worked.

I have an old FTV card (from BBC), so did the following:

Registered for Tantalise TV PPV service (cost £9.99). Connected box to telephone line for a while, just in case it was needed to complete the registration.

Two weeks later, I have just received a new (dark blue) FTV card replacing my old one. It works for all the FTV channels (ITV etc) just fine.

Simple!

I think you could also try Arabest, ARY Digital, NASN, Playboy, Television X and Zee Network.

Pout TV said they couldn't provide a new card, I'd have to subscribe to something else.

For those that don't have an old FTV card; I wonder, if anyone can get hold of an old FTV card (perhaps via Ebay), would this work in a different box? If so, they could then use this to get FTV as above. I also wonder if an old subs card would work too. I guess, however, that the FTV card would work, the sub might not, since it would have been married to the old box.

Any thoughts on this welcome.

Don't know how it would work in Ireland but anyone brave enough to try it please report

Heres the link

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/t/81098/ds.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

TIPPTOP,

Have you studied the very interesting posts & links! on the following [2] Threads on this forum?.. might prove helpful and informative as it did to me.:-

1: Cancelling Sky Digital after a year?...

2: Please BBC "FREE" on Satellite is NOT "FREEVIEW"...

Paddy.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I got a new FTV card just before the bbc system went Free to air but its for any one not so lucky to be loosing ITV, CH4 and CH5 when they turn off the old FTV cards

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I think having an old FTV is not relevant to subscriptions. AFIK a FTV card has NEVER been enabled for a sub.

At the moment, yes, a *UK* (Note UK) sub (any sub) works as a FTV card when cancelled. Suggestions are this may not be the case in the future.

At the moment, type 2 FTV cards don't get the "message of doom"

There is nothing to stop Sky turning them off too, later, (Decemeber has been suggested).

There is no reason to turn off type one FTV cards other than to encourage new subscriptions.

There is no reason to keep Type 2 FTV cards going either. Actually there would be few of these compared to nearly 1 Million FTV viewers on old cards (= Original FTV cards + 10% Churn subscription cancelled cards).

My Advice
    Don't waste money on wierd subs (that almost certinally will only add ITV, C4 and Five in UK).

Wait and see what happens.

It is most likely there will be NO FTV by 2004 and ITV will be FTA.
    Five will be a pay channel.
    C4 don't know what, so know one else can know for them.

Sky knows (and not the BBC) when or if they will turn off P1 FTV (or P2 FTV cards also). Currently the UK Gov can do nothing yet, and it's irrelevant to the BBC now. ITV have already said they will be FTA. It is a question of will it be Aug 2004 or sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

My FTV address in the UK got this letter today

bbc.jpg

Advertisement