Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aligning Dish

Options
  • 11-08-2003 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

If I want to check the alignment of the dish, Am I being stupid just going out with a ladder and moving the dish until the signal seems corrected? And If I do move the dish, do I move the dish or the LNB in the centre?

Sorry if these questions seem absolutely ridiculous, but trying to get someone out to look at my dish is almost impossible!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

a compass would be a help!

someone reading signal strengths out as you nudge it around would be a help

a plumbob would be a help once you have the right left right reading ...in order to get the vertical tilt

M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by senzate
    If I want to check the alignment of the dish, Am I being stupid just going out with a ladder and moving the dish until the signal seems corrected? And If I do move the dish, do I move the dish or the LNB in the centre?

Sorry if these questions seem absolutely ridiculous, but trying to get someone out to look at my dish is almost impossible!

What area are you in, perhaps I could suggest someone to help?

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 senzate

I'm in Dunshaughlin in Co. Meath and therea re not many Satellite installers in the area!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭aersat

Senzate

If it`s not broken, don`t try and fix it, you`ll probably make matters much worse or risk an injury.
    Best left to the Professionals but agree the price beforehand.

Aersat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 senzate

I know you are right. I know it's better to leave it to the professionals. But, it doesn't help when you can't find a professional to leave it too! It;s not as if I live in a remote area in the middle of nowhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

What I do is use my 2 inch Casio tv to monitor the signal strength/quality screen.
    To do this you have to "broadcast" this screen from the Digibox.
    Just switch on the RF Out setting in the hidden menu, and feed the RF out into your existing RTE aerial.
    This output will then have a 200 Meter radius so you take your Casio up to the roof, tune in, and you have a
    pretty good DIY signal meter that can actually differentiate between 2A(Normal Signal Strength) and 2D (manual tuning).
    PS: This can also be done with mirrors.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

PS: This can also be done with mirrors.
    lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I know you are right. I know it's better to leave it to the professionals. But, it doesn't help when you can't find a professional to leave it too! It;s not as if I live in a remote area in the middle of nowhere!

Try ringing Armstrong Electronics (no. in the book) and ask if they can recommend someone.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭adeypius

Lidl are selling a sat signal meter this week for 10 euro

Advertisement