Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Sky's Champions League Coverage be availably for Sky Ireland?

Options
  • 11-08-2003 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I have a feeling that this will be blocked here, because TV3 has the Tuesday night
    Games & RTE the Wednesday games. BUT do RTE & TV3 have exclusive rights?

Anyone know what the deal is?

To read what Sky’s Champions League Coverage is click
    http://msn.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,0-1065398,00.html

It looks great!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

If Sky's champions league coverage is not available here I'd say cancel the subscription!!Seriously though,if they're gonna start blocking programmes they'll have to reduce the price accordingly.We would be missing out on superb interactive coverage as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I hadnt even considered this as a possibility but now that you mention it...

I was looking forward to Skys coverage as I'm sick to death of being subjected to ManU on TV3 and ITV simultaneuosly.
    I can never figure out why when ITV are showing ManU that TV3 dnt show someone else to try and get an audience. Most people who watch the game will watch it on ITV.

It would be bloody typical of Sky if it was blocked in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭irishdeej

I remember at the time the rights were up for grabs, Sky were bidding for the Irish Rights, but RTE & TV3 won out. But I am not really sure if it was for Exclusive Rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I dont think they will. It would not be in Sky's interests to block it.

But a mail to backchat is worth a punt, for sure.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I don't think it'll be a problem (although the previous blocking on the ITV News Channel would make you wonder).

I'd be possibly more worried about the new Premiership deal. For the first time ever, it excludes ROI. Sky are being asked to seperately bid for ROI rights against RTE and TV3. These are yet to be discussed.

There seems to be the slight possiblity that RTE or TV3 could beat Sky (yes I know this seems really unlikely!) and that therefore Sky would have to block the games in ROI, or at the very least share rights.

Then again, it is usually understood when selling rights for ROI that there will be overspill from UK TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Very interesting points. God damn rights and conditional access. I wish they would have never invented the damn thing.

Cant see how Sky could not show the football in ireland. I mean a Sky Sports without soccer is like Sky movies with no movies.

But FIFA and UEFA are tough guys when it comes to rights and football. The last world cup and the BBCi come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cant see how Sky could not show the football in ireland. I mean a Sky Sports without soccer is like Sky movies with no movies.

Exactly...and if our neighbours across the water are anything to go by, the movies aren't enough to warrant paying the extra....if Sky DON'T show the CL here or start messing around with "you cant see this or that" in general I'd expect lots of sub cancellations/downgrades to follow...and I'm sure THEY know this too....

NOTE: Edited to change Premiership to CL - thats what I get for having multiple IE windows open & its FAR too hot in this office today!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

As far as I knew Sky had bought the CL Pay TV rights for Ireland and the UK and RTE, TV3 and ITV had the FTA rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

the Sky Sports ad (with Elton John) was on TV3 yesterday and that mentioned Champions League at the end like it does in the UK. exact same ad except for the phone number

And it has been relayed on NTL here, with the subscribe numbers for NTL, Chorus and Sky.

• Advertisement

The answer!! with thanks to Digiguide

SPORT: Champions League Football
    Channel: Sky Sports 2
    Date: Tuesday 16th September 2003
    Time: 7:00 pm to 11:00 pm (starting in 35 days)
    Duration: 4 hours.
    (Champions League Match - Live)
    The start of the 2003 Champions League. Match TBA.

Advertisement