Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viva Espana !!!

Options
  • 10-08-2003 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭

According to a thread started by Dan H on the DigitalSpy forum, TVE will be launching on Sky Digital in October.

Good news for Spanish speakers or people who just like watching programmes from sunny places (scorchio !!)

Tumbleweed posted this article -

"The International Spanish Television channel will arrive from the 1st October to the United Kingdom and Ireland through the digital platform British Sky Broadcasting (BSKYB), as communicated yesterday by the public chain. It will be the first channel in Spanish on this platform, after the entrance of the French TV5 in October of last year.

The International channel will be present in the basic package of the platform, according to the 7 of July agreement among the Commercial Direction Management of RTVE and BSKYB.

British Sky Broadcasting is a terrestrial digital television platform with an offering of 168 channels. It is the main payment television market in the United Kingdom and one of the most important in Ireland, with a 55 percent market share, with more than 6 million certified subscribers."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Charles Slane
    British Sky Broadcasting is a terrestrial digital television platform

:confused::confused:

i thought this was a thread about a Viva music channel launching in Spain :rolleyes:

it is good to see another European channel on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Another channel free everyplace else you have to pay for on Sky like TV5 I bet.

Yawn.

If people "really" want non-UK channels they can get a more suitable receiver for less than a year's Sky Sport with up to a THOUSAND free European channels.

And it won't have a Poke you in the Eye EPG with all the pay channels. You can delete the EPG channels you don't want.

The more "channels in Basic packge" on the proprietary Sky platform the tighter Murdoch's monopolistic grip gets in UK/ROI.

So it is BAD news.

It would be good if it was FTA on Sky, but why would RTVE pay for that when Ireland already gets an excellent free TVE, TV5, RAI, ARD etc etc courtesy of the respective broadcasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I hope its got subtitles like the french channel TV5, because I've only started to learn spanish by night classes last year and I sent a couple of e-mails to Sky about the subject, good to see their listening when it suits them:cool:
    TVE is an excellant channel with good news coverage and sports news

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No subtitles.

Some Polish programs on Polish Satellite TV have English Subtitles.

English/Merkan programs on Arab channels have Arabic Subtitles.

JSTV has subtitles (Chinese????) on some news programs that might be in Japanese.

Some Thai programs have what look like Thai script. Presumably because the spoken bit is some other Asian languange.

TV5 sometimes has French subtitles for French Dialog as they want us all to learn French.

The Arabic service of Israeli TV has sometimes Hebrew, some times Arabic subtitles. The dialog can be English, Hebrew or Arabic depending on Program.

Some Arabic and Persian stations have English news ticker tapes during news.

C-Span / VOA TV sometimes has "Easy English" which is hard. It has big gaps between the spoken words. They do this on VOA radio too. I don't know why the Merkans think this makes it easy or english.

Teletext 888 on some UK satellite channels works for Subtitles, even if no other teletext. That will be for hard of hearing, not learning English though.

Thats the sum of my subtitle knowledge browsing 600+ TV channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

any one got a offical link to TVE and can speak spanish to see what programes are going to be on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

Remember someone posted a few weeks ago that european channels would be launchibg on Sky , I guess they were right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

Originally posted by TIPPTOP
    any one got a offical link to TVE and can speak spanish to see what programes are going to be on
    Try: http://www.rtve.es/canales/tveinter/

Advertisement