Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a telescope?

Options
  • 10-08-2003 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hey folks,

A couple of years ago, my mother bought a telescope for my Dad, to see if he'd be into astronomy (he was always talking about the stars and looking at what's up there, but he never devoted the time to really getting into it). It's a Helios 150mm scope, and I don't think it's all that great, unless you're looking at the moon or perhaps a planet (will be using it to look at Mars this month).

I'm still a bit of a rookie, when it comes to scopes, so I'd like to get my hands on a few scopes with tracking units and the like, but obviously they're expensive to buy - is there anywhere in Dublin that would rent out scopes? This would be a very cost effective way of being able to see what's best. I'd love to see if the Meade scopes are any good, and would also like to use a Dobsonian scope of some sort - I've never used one.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Your best bet is to goto one of the star parties listed in the Irish Astronomy Calendar thread.

Those sort of scopes are always there and the owners are, usually, more than happy to let you take a look see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Originally posted by tomcosgrave
    It's a Helios 150mm scope, and I don't think it's all that great, unless you're looking at the moon or perhaps a planet (will be using it to look at Mars this month).

Is there anywhere in Dublin that would rent out scopes? This would be a very cost effective way of being able to see what's best. I'd love to see if the Meade scopes are any good, and would also like to use a Dobsonian scope of some sort - I've never used one.

Helios are generally fairly good, I've used a dob of theirs at COSMOS. What sort of scope is it that you have? if its a reflector then it could just need collimation.

Regarding hiring scopes, there is no group that hires out to the public, though some clubs rent out to members. I think the IAS has some, but I dont know what.

Starparties are your best bet. You mentioned being around Dublin, so get in touch with the South Dublin Astro. Soc. They will likley be out during the week in Wicklow looking at Mars and will have some of the higher end Meade and Celestron scopes out. Best person to contact is probably John Flannery , john.flannery at jefferson dot ie. You can probably bring your scope along and get someone there to check it out for collimation etc.

Might see you up there!

Cheers,
    ~Al

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭tariqbutt

Basically 2 questions similar to what was asked in thise thread before

1. Is it possible to rent telescopes so that I could have a really deadly telescope for a few days

2. Is there somewhere I can go (an observatory?) where I can use a good telescope

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

tariqbutt wrote: »

1. Is it possible to rent telescopes so that I could have a really deadly telescope for a few days

2. Is there somewhere I can go (an observatory?) where I can use a good telescope

I dont think so. I'm into photography and the only place that really does rentals is Conn's. You can rent some of the faster lenses for 100 a day, with a sizeable pre-auth on your credit card. They are the only place I know of aside from Astronomy Ireland that do scopes so you might. I wouldn't think so though, sorry. At that money, you're better off buying a decent scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

tariqbutt wrote: »

Question 2 - there are a couple of sites in the US that do this and one that I was at a few years ago (Star Hill Inn) also provided excellent accommodation. There was one observatory scope for use and a few smaller scopes on an open platform. Excellent scopes by the way. I think there's also one or two places in the UK and one in Portugal. Perhaps if you Google "Astronomy" and "holiday"...

Question 1 - yes, there are a few commercial operations that rent out telescope time. Faulks, Rent-a-scope and Slooh are three that come to mind. These are high end scopes with high-end imaging equipment. Not sure of the prices but Google will get you most of the way there.

Hope this helps

Dave

• Advertisement
Advertisement