Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which ISP shall I choose?

Options
  • 23-08-2000 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Should I just use some free one? like indigo, and pay for every minute or should I choose esat with the flatrate? Is there anyone else that offers some good deal? And how much would you have to surf to reach 20 pounds... maybe its better to stick to indigo.

And which one has the best ping? routers, switchers and lines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Eh dude, stop farting off about things you dont know anything about.
    I'm with IOL No Limits, which is basically Esat No Limits ( Esat 0wnz IOL ) literally.
    Anyway, I'm on a 56k standard modem, no tweaks, either software or hardware. I get sub 200 pings to most HL servers, sub 160 mainly on Netshop and ICSL. And I get nearly 6k download rate.
    And the line is rarely ever engaged. So dont go off in a huff giving it abuse when its by far the best option out there, in my opinion anyways.

It's about a society in freefall....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭OmiOmi

Am I the dude that you are directing at?

or the ohter one?

anyway.... That sounds GREAT! Thats what I wanted to hear... Someone that actually has their flatrate connection.

Do you still have eircom as telephone provider? I'm pretty new to Ireland, thats cause I ask so much biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yes, still with Eircom, IOL ( Esat ) is just the Internet Provider, just a phone number to dial through the modem.
    Costs 20 quid a month flat rate off peak inc. Bank holidays and week-ends.
    You need to fill in an IOL form and send it in to them, you can find the forms in some petrol stations I think, and in Poxyco aka Tesco.

It's about a society in freefall....

Thats totally great! biggrin.gif

Do you play any other games beside CS? Diablo2 maybe?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

DOH!

I thought you had to switch to Esat as your phone provider to avail of the No-Limits connection - fluff! I'd have done it long ago (at home) if I'd known frown.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Advertisement

shame kharn =(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

been using esat snl since not long after it came out with very few problems. - would definitely reccommend it as an ISP, especially for those who use the net heavily in the evenings (free calls y'see...).

Pity you didn't know that, Kharn- you dont have to sign up with them as your telco. Somehow I wouldn't imagine that would be within the laws of fair trading if they DID force that... not sure though... either way- they never have forced it.

Bard
    |home page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Ive been with SNL since the very beginning. Still the same as it was except for the odd enganged signal. As with phoenix i get very nice pings to all irish servers.

-Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've also been with esat SNL since they started it, good pings to Irish servers (I get around 160 ms to the IGN TFC servers). However, I think they're pants for UK based servers.

- Munch
    - Sh33r l33tn35$, i tell you
    - Fortress.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭NakedBibleReadingMan

i use Surf NoLimits and i hate the thing. Its always engaged with me, sometimes i just leave it to connect and go do something else. i switched me phone over aswell and n problems there though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

Think 48p per hour is da off peak rate @ the mo.
    So 'bout 40 or so hours, dunno bout those no-limits ips's. hear they can be packed @ the best of times frown.gif

Narf!
    Clan Acid
    Clan Bio

uhm.... is there anyone else but Esat that offers flatrate?

And I think that they might me packed as you say mad.gif that sux... Which is the best for gaming? I play a lot so the price do matters frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Esat is fine for me, get 160Ms pings to irish servers, and I dont get engaged tones. It owns especially if you do a lot of stuff online.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

That's 20 pound a month before tax - so they sneak a few extra quid in. I've used it from the beginning and it's just got worse and worse. It takes longer and longer to connect, my average download speed has dropped from about 4k to 2k, and though I've never looked myself, people say there's loads more packet-loss and interferance with Esat/IOL surf-no-limmits.

I saw an ad on the telly about a free-ISP. Totally free - no subscription and unlimited free access during certain hours. I was getting shot at by several UNATCO troops at the time so I couldn't really pay attention. Anyone know about this?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I've been with eircom for ages (the subscription account) but recently I decided to try out Unison.

Eircom : connect at 28000bps
    Unison: connect at 44000bps

I know Unison will get slower as more sign up (it's free by the way) but anyone know how slow I can expect it to get?

also, unlike eircom, I have yet to get a busy signal when connecting. (total connect time from hitting button : 12 to 13 seconds as opposed to eircom's regular retry retry retry 2 minutes).

hmm... Sounds like its 50-50.. some hate or love esat....

But still.. its the only flatrate ISP... And if you surf 2 hours a day during weeks and say 4 hours a day on weekends you get over 25 pounds easly... and I'm connected more than that.. So I guess I dont have much choice do I?

Another thing..

Would you mind posting IPs to servers for

CS, AQ2, UT, Q3 and what pings you get?

Also... anyone that plays Diablo2 and what ping do you get from the realms in europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

yeeeeehaaaaa... they just installed my Cable access. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

For $29 a month well worth it.

So when does Ireland plan to come out of the stone age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

/sniff sniff...

not fair! ME WANT CABLE!!,grrr

aw well,suppose i'll have to wait for it to come out over here but that'll probaly take ages....*sigh*

Rich

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Originally posted by OmiOmi:
    ...Would you mind posting IPs to servers for
    CS, AQ2, UT, Q3...

ummm..these games have their own boards where you will find all the answers..or something...

Hmm. Hobbes.. where do you live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

actually if you belive what ntl say we had cable last monday week frown.gif

How fupping long does it take to lay a cable mad.gif It's not like they repair the road afterwards mad.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by OmiOmi:
    Hmm. Hobbes.. where do you live?

Boston, well just outside Boston.

Another thing which is pretty cool. Cable TV. I can click and get a TV Guide in the bottom of the channel telling me what's on other channels, or I click on the programs I want to see on the different channels and it automatically changes the channels for me. Loads of other cool features. Oooh yea, and I have Digitial TV channels, it's pretty much DVD quality.

I had that back in sweden.. the tv thing that is.. and I agree.. its as clear as DVD. And also I had 10mbit connection which I had to leave when i moved here =( I wish I could just put it in a bag... But NTL is putting up cable now..and dublin1 should get it within 5 months =D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Skeptic

It will most likely be 500kbs as this is what NTL are offering in England. I have been told by several customer care people in NTL that it will be take three years to update the whole of Dublin. Initial areas will be Tallaght (completed), Templeogue, Terenure. They have a list of timescales for other areas but this is not public yet. Some areas in the North Side (Sutton/Clontarf) will be upgraded fairly early in the three years (Business Plus Aug 2000). Its not a case of doing all the South Side first and then moving north.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Just get one of those inflatable ISP's ... but make sure it's an ISP, though... 'cos one time we... oh ... never mind wink.gif

(sorry, was watching the Simpsons)

Bard
    |home page

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What about cable for those of us who do not actually live in fúcking dublin?

(jealousy wink.gif)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Skeptic

Some form of xDSL will probably be available from Irkem or one of their compeditors. This will probably become available before NTL have completed their upgrade. They are conducting trials which are set to run until June 2001. The main emphasis of these trials are the multimedia video on demand package as opposed to data/internet which were resolved some time ago. I think the reason for this is that they feel that there would not be a market for high speed flat-rate internet access. To find out more phone Eircom head office and ask to speak to an ADSL product manager. Tell them what you want. Go further with Eircom :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 [666]-B|tch_Killer-

lo
    1) Cable is crap for gaming, i get better pings on my isdn to holland then ppl in holland with cable -partly due to isp

2)i know ur man prob dont have much money to spend but i thought id say it ne way
    the isp im with is VERY expensive compared to ne other 1 i know of
    ...its Clubi
    i pay 100 a yr and i got pings of (on 56k) 200 or below on ne english server and 240 on most of the rest of europe
    main prob is that its 50p an hour too off peak which kinda sucks

what dont suck is a ping of 30 to an irish server (true its on ISDN wink.gif )

l8ers

Its a shame tho that they dont offer a flatrate for ISDN... I've been using Indigo this days until I get the agreement from esat for the flatrate account. I guess i'll stick with both anyway.... Indigo is quite alright actually.... I've been playing Diablo2 the entire weekend with my wife and leechings some stuff.... that would have been nice to do if we already had flatrate =D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 [666]-B|tch_Killer-

try buy&sell/net
    i aint checked but i heard that they HAVE a flatrate ISDN
    check it out =D

Prepare to be B|tched...!

Advertisement