Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

canal+

Options
  • 10-08-2003 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Does the recent premiership deal with sky mean that sub's with Canal+ are redundant, since all the matches can now be seen on the sky platform ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I think if you are Pub, Canal+ is cheaper.

Personally I wouln't pay Sky €720 a year for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Originally posted by watty
    I think if you are Pub, Canal+ is cheaper.

Can residential viewers get Canal+ ??

i cant stand english tv...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

everything is possible if you have an adress and bank account (dutch) or if your friend or family have one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

I have a dutch Bank Account, for a small fee anyone can use it.
    pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Thread is swinging towards the dodgy party....

Careful now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

What is the legal situation on an Irish pub showing Premiership using the Canal+ CAM?.
    Surely this is "TV without frontiers".

If you paying the sub for a real card that gets what it is supposed to there is nothing illegal.

You don't even have to use an Official CAM. Only the viewing card and sub needs to be official.

Despite what Sky publically claim, there is no problem having a Sky sub outside of UK/ROI either.

In fact the contract print saying you can't take/use the Sky card outside ROI/UK is not valid outside UK anyway, and not valid because they didn't tell you that condition when you signed the Sky contract.

EU is pushing providers to openly sell subs in all EU, it is only the "Rights" holders holding it back.

It is now easier to Watch Sky1, E4, UK Gold etc in East / South Europe than BBC now.

Some operators will "openly" advertise and sell subs to any EU country. Hint: Tune in Promo channel and see is Irish or UK number or flag or dialing prefix listed....

But surely an irish pub that bought the Canal+ cam and is showing UK football via Canal+ is in breach of something, or are they?

No. They arn't.

Amazin' aint it.

They'd only be in Breach of anything with a "funcard" updated with Internet Hex files :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

They may not be breaking any laws, but I bet they're at least breaking the terms of their Canal contract. Oh, and Canal+ is a terrestrial tv channel in France, part of Vivendi which also owns Universal Music/Studios etc. Canal Satellite is the proper name for their satellite packages which are part owned by them in the Netherlands, France, Spain etc.

The French Canal Sat contract states the sub card is their property and is only to be used at the French address registered to the sub account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

what is the most basic package you can get for home with 3pm games?

anyone know

also it looks like NTV Turkey will be showing the premiership at 3pm. and thats fta!!!

Originally posted by Icehouse
    The French Canal Sat contract states the sub card is their property and is only to be used at the French address registered to the sub account.

Yes but that is not law, nor enforcable, nor even applicable outside France.

No-one will charge or sue you. That phrase is to assure the Rights holders.

Sky has a similar phrase.

It isn't illegal to "break" a contract which is not valid :D

Cheers Watty, This begs the question Why are publicans paying €720 per year for Sky Sports when they could be getting it for a fraction of that?
    Ok no Widescreen and English commentary. You could sync Five Live to the transmission very easily.

You might ask why people pay 27 Euro a month or 60 Euro a month when there are plenty of free channels.

I guess most folks don't know.

My PC based Satellite receiver costs nothing per month..
    * OSD program menu display on Living room TV etc
    * Armchair remote
    * Record direct to Hard Disk
    * OSD display of files for playback
    * 99 TV and 99 radio favorites
    * 600 TV and 500 Radio
    * WS/4:3 on a button

The PC isn't even in the house.

If I stop playback I can watch TV, but need to go to PC and close the playback app, to be able to change channel. I dunno why I can't get it to close by remote.

Record start/pause/stop is 100% OK by remote.

The OSD channel guide/menu (on current program) is miles better than Sky with a semitransparent background and a page of about 15 channels at once, with remote next/prior and page up/down

It comes with the same handset as the WinTV analog cards but the app is easy to customise to ANY philips type handset. I use an old Philips VCR remote with it. "Stop" and "Play" do Stop and play but also cancel or accept on the OSD menus for stations or files. "VCR Power" loads the playback app "Eject" displays either the OSD program menu or OSD files menu.

Record auto creates a file using station EPG name, date and time and optionaly 1, 2 ,3 etc if you set a record file size limit. If you later combine separate files you don't see a join....

Teletext is not reinserted so only on the PC

Originally posted by carrolls
    Cheers Watty, This begs the question Why are publicans paying €720 per year for Sky Sports when they could be getting it for a fraction of that?
    Ok no Widescreen and English commentary. You could sync Five Live to the transmission very easily.

€720 is the DOMESTIC price. Pubs actually have to pay sky MUCH more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by carrolls

Actually you can get English commentary on some channels

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Originally posted by watty
    €720 is the DOMESTIC price. Pubs actually have to pay sky MUCH more.
    How much is the commercial price (For an average sized pub)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

Speaking of Canal +, I see Lidl have an analogue satellite system for sale this Thursady for €59.99, and it says it provides Canal + and others for free.

What type of programmes are on this 'FTA' Canal + channel??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Check the copyright date of the packaging... I'm pretty sure Canal + have long since completed the move to digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Was there not a case a few years back in England, which Sky won, between a Pub Chain showing Tele + (with a legal sub) and Sky ?
    It centered on the rights issue, Sky having the rights to UK PPV and Tele+ not.

• Advertisement

If there was, it wouldn't win now.

The "Rights" issues are between Broadcaster and Program Originator. They are contracts between those two parties. The consumer is not involved. This is why Home & Away was blanked on NTL cable carrying RTE because "Five" got a court injunction. If NTL had been really bothered they could have appealed to Europe and reversed it.

BUt the consumer is not involved.

If Canal+ was openly advertising to Irish Pubs, perhaps Sky could get an injunction to stop them.

But it in no way affects the legality of a Pub having a Canal+ subscription.

The EU would rather providers DID advertise across frontiers. They are preturbed that Sky in particular is using some "TV without frontiers" clauses in a manner opposite to that intended (i.e. to aviod regulation by a National Licencing authority)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

The price of getting sky in a pub is banded according to the licence value of the bar...the publican has to give them a copy of the licence to prove this. Bigger the licence value the higher the monthly cost...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

my brothers pub in a small village but fairly busy pub, sky package costs twice the price of a residential house,

Advertisement