Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any views on a WorldSpace radio?

Options
  • 09-08-2003 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭

I wonder has anyone anything to say on WorldSpace radio. Whats the reception like? I'm off to Morocco for a while and would like constant BBC WS plus WRN. All views welcome.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

as i've never heard it i can't say but i have heard of some people saying it was quite good.

i was going to get it myself once upon a time but then decided to stick with what i already receive. it is quite cheap for the system too

coverage
    wsccollage.gif

click for website

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Unlike DVBs type Satellite Radio, Worldspace is nearly portable.

Not quite FM radio quality, kind of average MP3 or ELP Atrac quality.

I think the ones with LW/MW/SW/VHF-FM built in as well as "Worldspace" are best value. I think Hitachi does one like that.

It takes less than a minute to align the little almost pocket sized dish. A small yagi aerial is available as an option (I suppose for fixed mounting in fringe areas.

I'd like one..... You can give it to me when you come back from holiday.. They work fine in British Isles. :D

Apparently at a pinch you can use it in car or walking as the dish has to be point correct, but not as accurate as Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

The Hitachi one is 249 euros at a shop here in Holland. Is that a decent price, or have people seen it cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Ive 2 of them for the last 2 years. The audio is a bit "slushy" but for what its intended its well worth the purchase.
    Survived well with BBC WS and WRN here, local flavour on FM isnt so great down here.
    Got both mine from Nevada in UK. They do some secondhand ones too, Joyear is a tiny one, but The Hitachi KHWS1 has more audio punch (4xbatteries) and a limited shortwave radio too etc SanyoWS1000 is much quieter and is better for a hifi system via line out or via spdif thingy to a digital amp.
    Great stuff, easy to align for signal and here in south central europe you pull in Afristar 1 and beam2 without much of a struggle.
    Down to personal choice. Worth it? YES!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I see it has a country channel too.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Originally posted by Lennoxschips
    The Hitachi one is 249 euros at a shop here in Holland. Is that a decent price, or have people seen it cheaper?

I think a year ago or so when I was thinking of one it was about £130 stg. Sounds similar. I got a PC Satellite Card (the "Premium" kind, not the Skystar2 type) instead.

The Hitachi has moved higher up my wish list!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I found the Hitachi one good. I think there may be a review of a WorldSpace radio on this month's Radio Active magazine in Easons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Check this review. Please tell me it can be read if you are not subscribed.

Yes I can read it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Great thanks, I think you will find it interesting!!!.

Advertisement