Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Rugby in Ireland

Options
  • 09-08-2003 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

There are moves afoot to form an irish gay rugby club. We have had our initial meeting and its all systems go. We need a name. As boards.ie is populated with some very sharp minds I thought I'd ask you for your ideas on the subject.
    Just to give you a few pointers there are gay teams in the UK called The Spartans, The Kings Cross Steelers and Thebans.

What name would you give to Ireland's first gay rugby team?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I'm betting someones reading this and thinking "The Rugger Buggers"

How about "The Stone Wallers" or some name thats a nod to gay activists from the past ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

funniest thread title.... ever.

1000 posts.
    What a loser I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

what about "Suna De Bul" Rugby Club
    or Esra de bul

Everyone would think its some smart French saying , til they read it backwards...........

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Careful people. I'll start banning folks if they take this off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Axon

Believe me we have had every joke name under the sun. We'd really like to have a name that was definitely Irish in character but easy for English people and Americans to pronounce. And preferably one that isn't too easy for our breeder opposition to lampoon (tall order I know)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

how bout, "The Bandits"? ;)

lol

B:)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Coyler

Funny, that was my suggestion also..but I added Ringsend before the name for extra effect. :D

Thank you for your suggestions. The new Irish Gay Rugby Club is called Emerald Warriors RFC. We hope to have a website up in a couple of days or so...I'll keep you all posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Just keep Sean away from the changing rooms. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by Corega
    Just keep Sean away from the changing rooms. :)

Hahaha was just gonna say "imagine the shower antics"

Name suggestion "Rump Rangers"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Just curious here and I really dont want my head bitten off but why are you forming a gay rugby club, and would you have to be gay to join it?

I cannot BELIEVE you would ask a question like that. Thats just another example of hetrosexuals oppressing.....blah blah :D . Never be afraid to ask a question, and I certainly have no intention of biting your head off.

Why set up a gay rugby club? Well, rugby is a full contact sport, pretty much all of the gay rugby players in the state are in the Closet. Most of those who have come out have done so after they have stopped playing. A Gay Rugby Club allows gay men to train and play together as a team, to build up skills and self confidence. As the team becomes fitter and more competitive it will play club level rugby against straight sides. It also provides a healthier social outlet outside the usual pub and club scene.

You don't have to be gay to join the club, but you must show a willingness to learn.:D Straight men are welcome.
    I hope this answers your questions.

Axon :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Axon

Good luck with the club :):):)

Thanks BuffyBot. Three weeks later and things are starting to come together. We have a website at http://www.emeraldwarriorsrfc.com and soon we'll be putting up recruitment posters around and about the scene.

We are looking for a coach at the moment..so if anybody is interested or knows someone who might, just swing by the site and post your contact details. Alternatively, you can email us at info@emeraldwarriorsrfc.com

We are training tomorrow also..details at the site.

Axon

Advertisement