Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Sky Installation - Various Channels Dead

Options
  • 09-08-2003 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi All

I had Sky installed at our new house in Newbridge, after having NTL Digital at our place in Dublin for the last while.

Here's the problem, the system was installed while I was at work yesterday, and when I got home, a lot of channels seem to not work, There is either a " There is a technical Fault with this Channel" Message or, more frequently, "No Satellite signal is being received".

The problem is constant with the following channels ( short version) ... RTE1, Network2, TV 3, TG4, BBC 1 and 2, E4 and a host of others

Extreme Sports is intermittent.

We have most channels, but the above and some others are just dead. I have re-done the "New Installation" bit, checked all connections (inside). Also, trying to scan for new channels (Add new Channels) like the BBC ones comes up empty - No channels found.

Any advise before I get the installers back in, which is what Sky have said I need to do...?

WNxVolKraGh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭ozsat

The channels you list are all on 2D which would indicate a dodgy installation - or (less likely) the dish is just too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PsuedoSam

ie, the cables you mean? As for the Sat size, it seems pretty standard, looking at the others on other houses in the area. One thing to note, and I suppose this should have stopped me posting in the first place as it may be the obvious fault... The Dish and line were installed a long time ago, they were here when we moved in. Apparently no modification was done to them during the installation, or so I am told...

Is there anything I can do now instead of waiting for "them" to come out again?

WNxVolKraGh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

The dish may be slightly misaligned. If you feel brave, you can tap the dish sideways a bit, or wait for an installer to check the installation. He must have done a dodgy job.

What ozsat means is that those channels are on Astra 2D, a particular satellite, which transmits on lower frequencies than the other Astra 2 birds, so if the dish is out, you may not get these channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

WNxVolKraGh (if that is your real name)

Sounds very much like a misaligned dish. All the channels you've listed are, as people have said, on the Astra 2D satellite. When I had my install (and the dish later moved inside by the installers), they made sure the 2D channels were being received before they left. I'd get your installer on the phone as soon as you can if I were you.

My real name ?? No, it is my gaming alias... WNx - Warrior Nation and VolKraGh...

Anyway, thanks for all the help. I will give them a call on Monday and take it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 THE_INSTALLER

Here's the problem, the system was installed while I was at work yesterday, and when I got home, a lot of channels seem to not work, There is either a " There is a technical Fault with this Channel" Message or, more frequently, "No Satellite signal is being received".

We have had alot of this problem lately too with new LNB'S, also you should notice alot of the disney channels missing more often than others. The lnb only gives a vertical reading & horizontal comes up NULL.

So, that still points to a Dish misalignment yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 THE_INSTALLER

So, that still points to a Dish misalignment yes?

Not really, no. It sounds to me like you have a faulty LNB.

Go into services 4 & 6 and see what the signal level is at. If it is below the "OK" mark well then maybe it needs a realignment.

Hmmm, Signal level is above OK, looks like 80 or so percent.... I have a spare dish....

Hi All

Thanks for all the assists. Installer turned out to be right. I have a spare dish and I just swopped out the LNB, and VIOLA ! There they all are.

Once again, tks

WNxVolKraGh

• Advertisement
Advertisement