Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving home and Sky.......options

Options
  • 08-08-2003 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭

Are there any 'opportunities' here?

I know for a fact that they'll f*ck up everything and charge me for when I'm off and all that, but what are my options, if any?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

anyone.......Beuller? Bueller?

I could keep my present digibollox and apply again as a 'new' applicant. Are there advantages in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Dr. Nick
    anyone.......Beuller? Bueller?

Christ on a bike, it's only been two hours since you posted the first time

I could keep my present digibollox and apply again as a 'new' applicant. Are there advantages in this?
    Yeah you could. You end up with two digiboxes and a 12 month contract. You've sort of answered your own question really.

Originally posted by sceptre

Christ on a bike, it's only been two hours since you posted the first time

Yeah you could. You end up with two digiboxes and a 12 month contract. You've sort of answered your own question really. [/B]

Yeah, sorry, I'm used to posting on a fast-moving music-related forum.

But................how have i answered my own question? what can i do with the 'spare' box if i DO re-apply?
    and i KNOW they'll put a phone line in......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Either use the box as a spare, or for FTA channels, in the event of a cock-up on the new one, or sell it.

The best solution is to disconnect where you are, and signup at your new address. You would be able to avail of the discounted installation. If you took down your dish and got a installer to put your old dish back up, it would cost you a lot more than €15 - €70. As you said, the phoneline to the box is now compulsory, but for me that would be a side issue, as I'd have a spare box and a cheap install.

what can i do with the 'spare' box if i DO re-apply?
    and i KNOW they'll put a phone line in......
    If you put a quad LNB on your dish you can connect both boxes back to the dish and use one as an FTA box (for watching the BBC) for the bedroom or something. Or the mirror sub is now available here.

You could always just sell the old one.

• Advertisement

If you put a quad LNB on your dish you can connect both boxes back to the dish and use one as an FTA box (for watching the BBC) for the bedroom or something. Or the mirror sub is now available here.

You could always just sell the old one.

Sounds good. Some questions:

- Is this a complicated installation?
    - What's the latest on buying FTA/V cards with ITV and CH4 since the BBC situation changed?
    - This might be unlikely, but could a dig-sender be used between rooms so as to have all channels in both rooms?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Sky do offer a moving home deal i think it is 60 euro for them to put up new dish.All you do is bring box and card with you.If you dont want to start a new 12 mt sub . ie you wont need phone connection .New sub probably is best option , you get a new box .

- What's the latest on buying FTA/V cards with ITV and CH4 since the BBC situation changed?
    Basically you're not going to get one short of robbing someone else's or going via ebay (where they'll probably ask for the guts of 50 quid now - quite a bit when no-one knows how long the cards will last until they're switched off)

If you do get one by hook or crook, it doesn't matter any more if the card has previously been married to another box as it only mattered for the BBCs and now they've gone FTA the signal isn't blocked on a card activated in another box.

Originally posted by andyeire
    Sky do offer a moving home deal i think it is 60 euro for them to put up new dish.All you do is bring box and card with you.If you dont want to start a new 12 mt sub . ie you wont need phone connection .New sub probably is best option , you get a new box .

Thanx.
    I saw Dixons offering new sub at €15 today in Liffey Valley. Saving of €45 if i lasts. With phone connection of course.

Basically you're not going to get one short of robbing someone else's or going via ebay (where they'll probably ask for the guts of 50 quid now - quite a bit when no-one knows how long the cards will last until they're switched off)

If you do get one by hook or crook, it doesn't matter any more if the card has previously been married to another box as it only mattered for the BBCs and now they've gone FTA the signal isn't blocked on a card activated in another box.

Thanks for the info sceptre-man.

I've had a quick look on ebay and nothing there I can see.
    Why would they switch off the cards? Surely not for 'Eire' alone?

I think I'll go with the new sub anyway, Prm Lge and Playdisney is big here in this house :ninja:

• Advertisement

Why would they switch off the cards? Surely not for 'Eire' alone?
    Ah, big kettle of fish there. There are quite a few threads about this but in a nutshell:
    Sky are switching off all the old P1 cards over the coming weeks. This includes both old subscription cards and about half a million Free to view cards. This is being done largely for technical reasons.

They've replaced the subscription cards and some people have been fortunate or shrewd enough to replace their free to view cards (about 56000 from official figures). Sky may choose to disable the new FTV cards as well now that the BBC aren't paying anything (FTA since 10 June) and aren't all that pushed as it doesn't affect them. The only reason behind this (if it happens) is that Sky will get more people to sign up to subscriptions. It won't just affect Irish viewers - it'll affect all FTV card users if it does happen.

OK, €25 for new installation and new box it is.......a lot better than the €64 Sky 'move' package.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

i moved my house and ring sky to change the address.
    As far as installation is concern, i did my self ..it is easy..
    u just need to put it on a wall and try to make it as ur neighbur....
    if u want to do ur self let me know..i will tell u how to do..
    i helped my friends as they were quoted 70 euro to do that..
    already done 4 installation,,with no issue..
    do it urself is the best way...

Regards

Originally posted by divyaksharma
    i moved my house and ring sky to change the address.
    As far as installation is concern, i did my self ..it is easy..
    u just need to put it on a wall and try to make it as ur neighbur....
    if u want to do ur self let me know..i will tell u how to do..
    i helped my friends as they were quoted 70 euro to do that..
    already done 4 installation,,with no issue..
    do it urself is the best way...

Regards

Thanks for the advice, but I need a new dish anyway, the old one was put up by me and a friend (where are you Arosha Dahrmasena?) in 1995 with an old aerial pole, spare brackets etc. in the corner of the garden. so it's a mess really. might as well get a new one......

God that brings me back, remember the 'dodgy' sky analogue cards. I did quite well with my first one, got 12 weeks out of it for £30 at the time......after that I signed on the line:mad: and have been there ever since, from the £15.99 to the €60 :rolleyes:

Advertisement