Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie: Howto tune an old analogue dish into canal+ norway

Options
  • 07-08-2003 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭

Hi, Apologies if this is the wrong place to post or if it is illegal I do not know that part :)

Essentailly I am being given an old analogue dish and a reciever etc for free from a friend who has no use for them and me being the type of person who will hoard hardware wouldnt let them be dumped. I was wondering how do I tune in a channel like canal+ Norway? would it be a case of getting the coordinates of the station and adjusting my dish to suit? also would I need a card for this? As I said before im a newbie and apologise if this seems stupid and naive (sp?) of me.

Any help would be greatly welcomed or if someone could point me in the right direction :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

I'm afraid u dont give enough information like

1, where are u?

2, what is the size of the dish ie diameter

3, what is the receiver, analogue, d2mac, make/model

4, how old is it

Norway is on 1%W and is in d2mac and u need a card etc etc.

look here

http://www.lyngsat.com/1west.shtml

gb--

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

D2MAC is almost gone.

Canal+ need a Digital receiver with CAM slot. It is subscription only.

D2MAC is not actually an encryption standard. But there is POOR encryption specific to D2MAC on most remaining D2MAC channels.

D2MAC is hybrid Analog/Digital, so either you need a real D2MAC receiver (decoder is optional), or a Analog satellite receiver with a "Wideband" or D2MAC baseband setting. D2MAC does not compress the digital part of the mostly analog signal so uses even more space than a regular pure analog transmission. An external Philips combined D2MAC demodulator and card reader for decyrption can plug into SCART of some suitable analog receivers.

D2MAC is rapidly dead for two reasons:
    1) Takes MORE space than straight analog
    2) It never had a decent encryption system

0.7W & 1W need a 1m (east) to 1.2m(west) dish in most of Ireland and 90cm in North West Soctland.

I can get a poor TV4 PAL analog on my 1m in Limerick
    I can get about 1/3rd of Digital channels reliably on the same dish. Almost all the the FTA are available on 13E or 19E much stronger.

There is no point at all in setting up D2MAC now.

It's a lot of money and time to get Canal+ Digital even with pirate digital viewing cards that probabily last a day or two. You won't get a legal subscription of Canal+ Norway outside Norway.

But I'm sure "real legal" subs are available via Norway accomdation address. This is not illegal under Irish or EU law, just not liked by "Rights" holders. If they decide you are outside Norway and someone objects your card will be killed and you'll still have paid for the year...

Advertisement