Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC World

Options
  • 05-08-2003 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the frequency etc. details for BBC world?
    Couldn't find on usual places.

Thanks in advance.
    moz.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Its not available on a standard Sky Digital setup, pointing at 28 degrees East. It is available across Europe on other satellites, though., have a look here.

BBC News 24 is available for free, 10773, H, 22.0, 5/6 is the frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Digital on 13E
    Analog on 13E

A old Sky Anlog or a a new Sky Digital dish both point at the wrong satellite.

There is currently (may not stay) a lower quality Digital BBC World on 19E Digtal

Sky services are on 28.2E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Sin e an Fear

Anyone know the frequency etc. details for BBC world?

If I had my way BBC News 24 would be merged with BBC World. The BBCs argument is that a BBC-branded advertising-supported channel would undermine the rationale of the licence fee. Rubbish.
    News 24 interrupts its bulletins with corporate self-congratulation and programme trailers, so all the BBC World would need to do is not carry advertising in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

The adds on BBC World are generally fairly short and not very often, I'm sure the News 24 version could fill that up with trailers or public service announcements (don't drink and drive, use sun lotion etc), after all, they are a public service broadcaster!

I think they reason they don't want to merge them is because the news content is different. UK viewers don't want to see the latest Phillipines coup as their top headline, and world viewers don't care about train delays in England.

I think they reason they don't want to merge them is because the news content is different.

What I had in mind was a 'BBC World UK' which could probably incorporate BBC Parliament (who watches it?) I've seen terrestrial channels in South Africa and New Zealand carry BBC World at certain times, and 'BBC World UK' could simply carry this during the day at off-peak times- overnight
    UK viewers don't want to see the latest Phillipines coup as their top headline, and world viewers don't care about train delays in England.

To quote George Bush, you have misunderestimated the UKanians- many of them would like world news coverage alongside national/regional bulletins. BBC World Service has 'News About Britain', but BBC World almost apologises for being a UK channel. News 24 24 shows ABC World [!] News Tonight which gives you all the news in the world as long as it's from the 50 states of the union- or Puerto Rico if you're lucky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I like it as it is. I wouldnt change the way they operate.

I like it as it is. I wouldnt change the way they operate.

It's News 24 that's my bugbear, rather than BBC World, not least as a UK licence fee payer I have to pay for it. Taxpayers pay for BBC World Service, but the UK govt was too stingy to fund BBC WSTV (now BBC World)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

BBC World and BBC Prime are not funded by licence.

BBC News24 is.

At overnight BBC News 24 costs are reduced by taking BBC World feed, subsidising licence payer!

I get BBC World in Analog and Digital also BBC News24. They could not easily be merged. The none news content and daytime news is quite different.

You might as well say BBC1, BBC2 and BBC Prime could be a single channel to save money...

oops!

BBC World and BBC Prime are not funded by licence. BBC News24 is.

At overnight BBC News 24 costs are reduced by taking BBC World feed, subsidising licence payer!

That much I knew.

I get BBC World in Analog and Digital also BBC News24. They could not easily be merged. The none news content and daytime news is quite different.

However, BBC World bulletins could be shown on the half-hour on BBC News 24, which shows The World Today at 0900 weekdays. In any event, both channels carry programmes like Hard Talk, etc. A damned sight more sense than having ABC World [!] News Tonight-I seem to recall the BBC having a US programme of its own.
    You might as well say BBC1, BBC2 and BBC Prime could be a single channel to save money...

Well, it would have more viewers than BBC Prime! Actually, I'd shut down BBC3 and BBC4, merging them with BBC1 and BBC2 respectively. I'd merge BBC Prime, BBC America, BBC Canada, BBC Kids, BBC Food and UK.TV in Australia into global versions of BBC1 and BBC2.

Advertisement