Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NewBook -Whats it about?

Options
  • 04-08-2003 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Monstrous Regiment.

Synopsis
    It was a sudden strange fancy, and now Polly Perks, in her brother's clothes and her hair cut off, has joined up to fight for her country. But who is the enemy? What is she really fighting for? War teaches you a lot, she finds, when it turns out that you joined the Monstrous Regiment.

(Source: Amazon.co.uk)

Discuss?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Doesnt sound like a continuation from any of the other series of books probably a stand alone book like pymarids or small gods sounds good

though "monsterous regiment" sounds to me like there's obviously lots of zombies, werewolfs and things that go bump in the night in the regiment!!

the book sounds like a female version of the guards books!!

gimme gimme now!! cant wait.....

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭af666x

*Unpleasant Imagery*

A female version of Nobby?

*Cringes*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Isn't there a certain amount of ambiguity surrounding what EXACTLY nobby is anyway? ;)

I'd imagine female nobby looks very like male nobby :)>

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭af666x

Ah the human mind is a frightening place....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭shock

but isnt nobby both male and female in a kind of genderless way, like bacteria

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Well people did talk when Nobby went around in a dress, so he can't be all that genderless, or they'd never have noticed.

At lest if there is a female version of Nobby, they know there's someone out there for them, each other. What a love story it'd make :D

Thing meets Thing, Thing like's Thing, Thing makes out with monkey by mistake, Thing gets it right, and Things get married.

Bring's a tear to the eye I must say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

sounds like a Joan of Arc pisstake to me.
    Would our Terry be having a stab at the French.

oh please! oh please! oh please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Posted this before in another thread, but it bears repeating...

Alot of info on the new book Monstrous Regiment was dropped by the author himself during Terry Pratchett Week last January on the website http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com. Its all archieved in the msg boards but I'll give you some quotes.

"No, Monstrous Regiment won't be a Watch book, although some well-known characters will probably feature in the background. Mostly, it's all new people, and set a long way from A-M."

"Unless things go really wrong, both Otto and William de Word turn up in Monstrous Regiment. As I've said before, journoes are as useful as coppers in this respect -- they're easy to introduced into a plot."

"All I'll say is that it's based on an old song called Sweet Polly Oliver..."

Anyway.... only 30 days to go.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

More from http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com

War has come to Discworld . . . again.

And, to no one's great surprise, the conflict centers on the small, insufferably arrogant, strictly fundamentalist duchy of Borogravia, which has long prided itself on it's ability to beat up on its neighbors for even the tiniest imagined slight. This time, however, it's Borogravia that's getting its long overdue comeuppance, which has left the country severely drained of young men.

Ever since her brother Paul marched off to battle a year ago, Polly Perks has been running The Duchess,her family's inn -- even though the revered national deity Nuggan has decreed that female ownership of a business is an Abomination (with, among others, oysters, rocks, and the color blue). To keep The Duchess in the family, Polly must find her missing sibling. So she cuts off her hair, dons masculine garb, and sets out to join him in this man's army.

Despite her rapid mastery of belching, scratching, and other macho habits (and aided by a well-placed pair of socks), Polly is afraid that someone will immediately see through her disguise; a fear that proves groundless when the recruiting officer, the legendary and seemingly ageless Sergeant Jackrum, accepts her without question. Or perhaps the sergeant is simply too desperate for fresh cannon fodder to discriminate -- which would explain why a vampire, a troll, a zombie, a religious fanatic, and two uncommonly close "friends" are also eagerly welcomed into the fighting fold. But marching off with little (read: no) training, Polly (now called "Oliver") finds herself wondering about the myriad peculiarities of her new brothers-in-arms. It would appear that Polly "Ozzer" Perks is not the only grunt with a secret. There is no time to dwell on such matters, however.Duty calls. The battlefield beckons. There's a tide to be turned.

And sometimes -- in war as in everything else -- the best man for the job is a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

heh heh heh, nice quote.

**drools at thought of new book**

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Nice continuity - the Borogravian war was said to be occuring during the events of NightWatch (the events set during the present that is :)), with refugees flooding the Ankh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Had a quick flick through it today in Easons before making off with the second Science of Discworld and Thief of Time.

Apparently the vampire is addicted to coffee. Interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Its out already?

Yes, it's out. It's a pretty good read, Vimes and DeWorde have small parts in the book which is definitely a kick in the 'socks'.

Won't give the plot away but this is the first blow for womens lib on the discworld.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Duo

My word. I had no idea it was out. And, as with anything Terry does, it sounds rather good.... *sigh* it looks like I'm going ot have to skip... eating... in order to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

A pox on my local bookshops.
    No copies of it to be had today..

Order from Amazon , it's cheaper anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

But I want it now dammit,
    Anyway, both* bookshops in town got it in today, got a copy before i came into work, watch that customer service level plummet

What a cosmopolitan town this is, two whole bookshops :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Just bought it

starting it tonight :)

Advertisement