Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone in the United States?

Options
  • 02-08-2003 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Does anyone know what mobile phone can be used in the United States to call and more important sent SMS message back home whilst over there?

Also what adaptors are needed to change the plug type and the voltage when used in the US. (i.e. to use a hair dryer, straightners, charging mobile ect etc)

Comments

Your phone just has to be a tri band
    http://www1.carphonewarehouse.com/commerce/servlet/gben-specialoffers-Details?itemID=MAIN.UK.INTERNET.SPECIAL.OFFERS.JULMOTV66I

Being an example then you can text from the states as much as you like.

The voltage is 110 as opposed to 200 or 220 over here.
    Many chargers especially phone chargers will work on both, so you will just have to bu an adapter socket, which you would get probably in power city/dixons etc but definitely at the Airport.
    The U.S/Canada ones will be clearly marked as such.
    Regarding straighteners, I have never used one :p but again you would be best checking for ones with chargers that are dual voltage (110/220) like your phone.
    Same applies to hair driers, if they are travel hairdriers, but of course if you are in a hotel, most will have one in the bathroom anyway.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Hi there,

I'm currently in Boston, and my pals and I bought a mobile in T Mobile for about 100 - 120 dollars. its one of those card ones (like the ready to go in Ireland), trouble is we are charged to receive calls.

Its handy to have but we use it more for receiving call than actually making them. I wouldn't ring home on it either. You can get prepaid cards for public phones, that are good, last ages. That could be an option for you.

Hope that is of some help.

Memphis

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

:D Man

Thank you both!.

I'm thinking of getting the sharp flip one or the panasonic GD87. Would that work? Making calls is not too important but i want (need? :D ) to be able to text and receive texts. And i dont want to buy one unless i can text over there cause that's the only reason i'd bother going out and changing my phone.. my brick one would do me the finest over here.

Not staying in a hotel but not too worried about the hairdryer. I'm sure i can find something that will allow me use the straightners and thanks for the info on charging man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 easygoing724

Once it's a tri-band phone you will be covered...........

Remember if you stay with Ireland network......it's expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I bought a motorola tri-band in Florida a couple of years ago and use it any time I go over.

Bought it in a Verizon store and asked them to unblock it so I could use my own digifone sim card when I got home.

Paid about $250 but got $50 free call credit with that. Have used it a number of times with my own sim card in it since and while calls are more expensive, text messages are the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

yeah u can use ur 02 pre pay sim over there and i even got the GPRS Wap working while in the US, just make sure and have plenty of credit in it :) phone has to be triband, if unlocked, just get a pre paid American sim locally.Make sure the coverage is the best for ur area though cos they vary

Advertisement