Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digibox self install

Options
  • 02-08-2003 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭

OK if I want to buy a digibox (for FTA and UK-FTV use only without a phone connection)
    1) how much will it now cost me ?
    2) How much extra would a PVR (Sky+) option cost ?
    3) Can I just get a box (without the minidish) and use my own LNB/digibox ?
    4) Where in Northern Ireland (or the UK mainland via mail order) can I get one without having to sign a $py dgital contract ?
    5) I have two FTV cards (acquired before July 10th) but theyre not registered to any box. Is it still possible to register these ?
    6) Which of the boxes on the market is the best for FTA/FTV use (and why)
    7) Would I be as well to forget it and just buy a proper (no Sky) satellite reciever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

1) how much will it now cost me ?
    From €40 S/H to €300 (approx) new.

2) How much extra would a PVR (Sky+) option cost ?
    Lots

3) Can I just get a box (without the minidish) and use my own LNB/digibox ?
    Not exactly, an LNB connection on the dish can only feed one box. You can replace the LNB with one having 4 connections for maybe under €80.
    (A Sky+ uses two connections).
    Each Digibox need one coax each to dish/LNB
    Each Sky+ needs two coax to dish /LNB

4) Where in Northern Ireland (or the UK mainland via mail order) can I get one without having to sign a $py dgital contract ?
    You only sign a contract for subsidized install and/or subscription. Almost anyone will sell a full price new one. A household can only get the subsidized install once.

5) I have two FTV cards (acquired before July 10th) but theyre not registered to any box. Is it still possible to register these ?
    Might work by automatic method. Read the Faqs.

6) Which of the boxes on the market is the best for FTA/FTV use (and why)
    They are all much the same really. Some folks liked the now unavailble Sony as it had Digital Audio out (but only stereo on it). Some regarded Panasonic as better, some liked the s-Video on some Grundigs (now Thomson). Undoubtably some Amstrads and a smaller number of Pace had relaibility problem. If it is S/H and more than 2 years old and perfect, it probabily will be fine if kept cool. If its new it has a warrenty.

Keep it cool and not isn closed cabinet.

Some boxes alleged to be better for "fringe areas" No-where near here is "fringe" main area is Oval from Iceland to France. East Germany, South Spain, East Scandinavia are "fringe"

7) Would I be as well to forget it and just buy a proper (no Sky) satellite reciever.
    If you just want 28.2 Sky Programs and BBC etc, then a SKy box has these features NOT on a non-Sky box:
    * Almost 2 week program guide
    * Automatic channel retuing
    * Personal Planner tied into two week guide to activate VCR
    * Sky Active on Sky News (mulitscreen, text etc)
    * BBCi Interactive and Text
    * Interactive on some shopping channels.

If you want any of
    * Free forign channels (600 TV and 500 Radio easily)
    * Rotating motorised dish
    * Non- 28.2 Satellite
    * multiple Satellites via disqc switch and 2, 3 or 4 LNBs on one dish

Then get a non-Digibox.
    A Non-Digibox has:
    * just now /next on BBC
    * some get one or two days on some German stations
    * Manual retuning if Sky change any parameter.
    * No Sky news or BBC text

Another option is a PC Multimedia Satellite Card at about €200. It can drive HiFi/TV direct and has its own DSP MPEG2 decoder.

A Cheap €80 card (SkyStar2) can only easily be watched on PC and entirely relies on PC SW on a high power PC to do the picture.

Both kinds can record like a Sky+ direct to PC disk.

Advertisement