Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVB Cards for Astra reception

Options
  • 02-08-2003 5:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I have a quad LNB on my minidish and 2 extra unsubscribed UK boxes with the old UK cards which give me ITV+C4, in addition to my Sky Subscription box. Only 3 feeds used.:cool:

I was considering getting a DVB card to install in my PC to use with the spare LNB feed. I was looking at the Skystar 2 card at about 60 euros.

Has a anyone any experience of this set up and would it be worth the bother. :confused:

I can get another unsubscribed sky box for BBC but would then have to rustle up another TV somewhere.

Idealy I would like to get feed from another satellite but not willing to set up anothe dish at the moment.

Suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

As a point of interest, why would u need another TV if u used the 4th feed from your quad lnb? U can change the RF on your digiboxes and tune in all of them to each telly!! So u could have 1 box on ch1 on tv, then 2nd on ch2 and so on.

gb--

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are two basic kinds of PC Satellite PCI card:

SkyStar2 type = technotrend basic / Hauppauge Nova DVBs PCI

Premium type = Technotrend premium / Haupppauge Nexus DVBs PCI

The Skystar2 works and is excellent for Data. It is not a perfect solution for TV/Radio as this depends purely on PC SW and PC power.

The Highend solution costs maybe €200 but is much superior for TV having these extra features:
    IR remote receiver and handset
    Real TV out connection built in (PAL or NTSC out depends on DVBs transmission)
    Digital Audio out
    Hi Stereo out (x3)

DSP chip to do HW conversion of MPEG2 (even SVCD and DVD non-vob playback) to TV Video
    Multimedia bridge chip to improve performanc eof Recording, Playback and On Screen overlay graphics.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88214

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106633

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I have a Skystar 2 card (thanks to Europe Online) and it works fairly well with DVBViewer software. As watty says though it's primarily made for data and one of the more expensive ones would possibly better.

I suppose it would depend on how much you intend to use a DVB card and for what purposes.

I usually only listen to the Astra 1 radio channels on my PC so the Skystar 2 does my job nicely.

Note that the latest DVBviewer software requires a minimum spec of 700Mhz P3 and 128MB RAM, which doesn't run at all on my 550Mhz P3 so I have to use the older versions.

The more advanced card will run with NO CPU!
    (Kill task in XP and the connected TV set still goes)
    I had it going on a P120 witn 64M RAM

I use a XP on PIII 933MHz. I've tested card on Win98 and NT4.0

The cheap card does work, but the PC can't do anything else and unless you have a compatible TV out VGA card, no TV feed.

The expensive card uses almost no CPU letting CD or DVD burner, Internet or even WinTV anlog card work. It does not depend on anything else to drive external TV/HIfFi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ferret

The PC I am using is XP with 2.53 Ghz P4 and TV out card installed and lots of memory. The basic card will probally suit me fine as I only intend to use occasionally. If I stick it in my old 500 P3 box then I may have to use the older software.

The other choice would be to get satellite internet through it , but that subject is more suited to the broadband boards.

Thanks for the feedback

• Advertisement

I'd only go for basic (Skystar2/Nova) card on your PC (500MHz) Ferret if Either it was mostly for EON and/or Casablanca, not TV.

Or very short of cash.

There is no comparision between you Graphics card TV out and the HW dsp decoded MPEG2 on the "Premium" card built in TV out.

I'm using the Satellite card fotr TV so much I have added cat5 cable from "shack" to living room extending built in IR remote.

I'm thinking maybe sometime of adding a 2nd card for Data...

Real Satellite Internet is problematic due to multiple 50 thousand mile path delays... And more expensive than broadband.

Casablanca is a *really* free Internet page and newsgroup and email "Push" service

EON and similar are almost download on demand but phone line upstream.

There are true zero land line options but these don't use PCI satellite cards. They are a full 2-way ground station with USB or Ethernet connection for Data to your PC. About 600Euro a month for a good service.

Advertisement