Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIVE FTA on 16 degrees

Options
  • 02-08-2003 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭

Thought this might be of interest to some of you folks.
    Eutelsat W2 at 16.0°E Five (Region 2) DVB 11676 V tp D9 5632 - 5/6. .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭georgekildare

Thought this might be of interest to some of you folks.
    Eutelsat W2 at 16.0°E Five (Region 2) DVB 11676 V tp D9 5632 - 5/6. .

Thanks for the info JD. I have also tuned in and receive Channel 5 on Eutelsat loud and clear in as good quality as with my Sky FTA card.

However, it seems to good to be true. I cannot think that this will continue uncrypted for long. Does any one know why Channel 5 has been put on Eutelsat, or the meaning of "Region 1" and Region 2?

I note that "Channel 5 Region 1" and "Channel 5 Region 2" are also on on Telstar 11 at 37 deg W, but there I can only get sound without a picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 David Robinson

Originally posted by georgekildare
    Does any one know why Channel 5 has been put on Eutelsat, or the meaning of "Region 1" and Region 2?

I note that "Channel 5 Region 1" and "Channel 5 Region 2" are also on on Telstar 11 at 37 deg W...
    There is also Region 3 and Region 4 on Intelsat 901 at 18°W. All 4 are encrypted however. These 4 regions are the feeds for the Channel 5 analogue transmitters. Having 2 satellites provides redundancy in the event of failure of one of the satellites. Each analogue transmitter can be switched remotely to any of the 4 regions. The original idea of this was to target adverts at specific areas. Whether this is ever used in practice, I don't know.

Advertisement