Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house (want 2 x sky)

Options
  • 01-08-2003 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

I am thinking of moving house. I have Sky World (€60pm) at the moment. What I would like to do is have 2 x independant sky subscriptions in the new house.

What is the best option? I think it is the following.

Cancel my existing subscription, which I have had for 4 years. Keep my (old) Grundig box.

Take out a brand new Sky subscription in my new house. Get a brand new silver Panasonic box. Make sure I get a quad LNB instead of the regular one, to make I am Sky+ proof if we decide to go for that in the future. Run 3 seperate cables from dish, one to secondary room and two to primary room (for Sky+).

Am I right? Any idea how much such an installation would cost?

Thanks,
    Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by Mark McG
    I am thinking of moving house. I have Sky World (€60pm) at the moment. What I would like to do is have 2 x independant sky subscriptions in the new house.

What is the best option? I think it is the following.

Thanks,
    Mark.

I think you have answered your own question but bear in mind you need a phone connection at both boxes, currently you can only get sky to do this as they will not allow retailers to sell a "mirror" subscription. Ring sky direct as they might have a deal on the quad lnb and second box as well as a subsidised re location deal.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mark McG

Thanks Tony.

Shame that I have to go with Sky. I would like to give you the commission...

Maybe when we get Sky+; we are hoping that they do the same here as is rumoured in the UK.

Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by Mark McG
    Thanks Tony.

Shame that I have to go with Sky. I would like to give you the commission...

Maybe when we get Sky+; we are hoping that they do the same here as is rumoured in the UK.

Mark.

Thanks but unfortunately sky dont want to work with the retailers who built 80% of the business here. Good luck with the move.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

Go with your own plan, but why don't you also stick a terrestrial Aerial up too. Then you could use your old box as a FTA box - all eight BBC's, Sky News, CNN, radio channels, etc, and your new box as a subscription box.

You would also have 4 Irish channels on all TV's, meaning you could record independently also. You could also have each digibox output to all TV's.

With that set-up, the occassions where you will not be able to watch / record two different things will be very rare. It will also work out less expensive since you won't need to pay a mirror subscription, and as Tony points out, you won't need to locate the FTA box near a telephone socket.

Advertisement