Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of Sky Viewing Cards

Options
  • 31-07-2003 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

I have three digiboxes,with three P2 cards. I was thinking of resting one box to preserve for emergency breakdown.How often does anyone think I would need to insert the card I'm using in this box into one of the other boxes to maintain the signal or does it matter. This card is an ex SKy uk sub.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Plug it in for a few hours every two weeks or so. Thats what I used to do with my FTV box, before it died (havent bothered repairing it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭arkles

Originally posted by DMC
    Plug it in for a few hours every two weeks or so. Thats what I used to do with my FTV box, before it died (havent bothered repairing it)

hi dmc and anyone else this may interest

last week my digibox died (tuner),the box is 4 years old, i phoned sky told them i wanted to cancel (I'm on 60euro/month package). they said why, i said my digibox has stopped working, guy put me onto some one else who said we can send out someone for 108 euro to fix/replace box,

i said no thanks i want to cancel, so he put me on to a manager who said we will replace your digibox free of charge, so i says ok, engineer coming next wednesday, so a tip to you all, tell them you are going to cancel your sub it works wonders :))

apologies dmc just seen it was a FTV box u had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

I think I may have been misunderstood on this thread.

Basically I will have the situation where I will have two operational boxes and three active cards (2 FTV/1 iRISH SUB).
    Ocasionally I will interchange one Ftv card with the Irish sub card to tape,the likes of House Doctor on Five when watching something else on ITV. My question really is how often would I have to put the rarely used FTv card into a digibox to keep the three channels(ITV,c4,c5 active or does it matter??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

No, jez, the same principle applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

On the subject of losing the signal. What happens now if you lose the signal on the P2 card if you leave it out for too long? Will it come back again if you leave it in for a day or two?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sayireland

I have a neighbour who has a V2 card. The box was unplugged for about two months. When he set the system up recently ITV, C4 and 5 initially had the subscribe message but the next day all channels back AOK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Final point on the digibox/card subject.

If I put a digibox into storage for a long period. ie.. unplugged ,boxed etc .to be used only in case of emergency repairs to other active boxes.

1.Would the box just work normally when reused(maybe after a year) , i.e. FTA channels etc...

2. I assume once I used the designated FTV Viewing card once every couple of weeks in another box that would be enough to keep the card active.

Can someone just confirm these two issues for me .

I promise then to ask no more similar questions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

1) Unused Box.

The EPG SW etc may need updated. Press Backup while power on. I had to do this to a stored box. Before it behaved oddly and no program guide. After it is fine.

2) If a type one card, Sky is turning these off. If a type 2 FTV card, Sky will likely turn these off too, maybe December.

Unused card:
    Typically PAY channels on a subscription card will work at once then "fail"hours later then re-authorise in a few minutes or hours. Typically FTV channels don't work at but reauthorise in a few hours to 1/2 day.

Obviously Sky are using two different mechanisims...

While Sky will resuse a cancelled Sub card for a renewal, they NEVER "turn on" pay channels on a card issued as FTV. They always send a new card.

No-one knows if this is just beacuse they don't have the card details or because the cards are different. Best guess is it is policy and the cards (FTV and Sub) are really the same. No-one knows what difference between new and old card (other than logo) is either or why they are spending 1Million to 60Million quid replacing the cards (depending on whos figures you beleive). It isn't because the cards are "cracked" as was the case with analog or Seca1 --> Seca2 etc.

Sky claim their "licence" requires them to change the cards. It does not. Nor has the UK government the power to enforce change or lack of change regarding cards (which is why Sky can with impunity turn off the already paid for Type 1 FTV cards and even turn off Type 2 FTV cards. )

Before the BBC would have objected. Now Five does what told by Sky Daddy / Near owner, ITV never paid so can't insist and will go FTA anyway and C4 i'm sure gets a good deal on Film4 and E4 carriage/Encryption.

Five signed a new deal for Encryption with Sky recently, long before present one was due to end. Alleged to be a Pay TV Channel by Christmas.

How likely are P2 FTV cards or cancelled P2 subs to be FTV in JAN2004?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

i said no thanks i want to cancel, so he put me on to a manager who said we will replace your digibox free of charge, so i says ok, engineer coming next wednesday, so a tip to you all, tell them you are going to cancel your sub it works wonders

Arkles did you get your new box?
    Did they take the old one away? just nosey!!

Advertisement