Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper Backpack

Options
  • 30-07-2003 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a proper backpack (one of those massive things), how much would i be looking at spending?

Want to get a decent one, but what would i be looking for exactly..

plan to head off next year and start backpacking around australia/europe/usa etc so dont want something crappy thats gonna burst/break etc.. (also need one for heading over to reading festival at end of august..)

someone told me to ask for a 50/75litre one? (cant remember if they said litre i was kinda drunk when asking..)

Anyone any advice? and where would i be able to pick one up in dublin city centre for a relatively decent price

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Yeah they go in litres, but I forget whats big and whats bigger in terms of numbers.

If your in Dublin there is a fairly decent camping shop on Mary street - just keep walking past Jervis centre, cross the road and it's on the right another 30 or 40 yards down.

(Generally) the folk in camping shops are quite helpful and give decent advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

ok thanks pete will check it out, i thought they perhaps would be helpful in the shops but i wanted to go at lunch from work and didnt want to walk endlessly around looking for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Try the Great Outdoors... 75 litres would be a minimum for a long expedition... and get a brand-name rucksack, I've had my trustworthy Lowe for the past 11 years and its still in top form (although decidely scruffy after god knows how many camping and plane trips).. its worth paying that little bit extra for.. especially comfort wise if you're walking also.

how much would i be looking at paying kali?

and yeh i planned to pay that little bit extra as ive always been a firm believer in 'you get what you pay for'

Been a while since I've gone looking.. but I'd budget about e150 max for a nice model (last time I went with my mate shopping for one it was 115 irish)... check out http://www.lowealpine.com/index.asp?CatalogCountry=3 for a range of products/features.. i dont have a clue of any other sites ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

A standard one that you see most backpackers using is the 70, 75 or 80 litre ones.

There are a few companies that make them and a lot depends on how
    much you are willing to spend, if you dont know a lot about it then go to
    stores like The Great Outdoors and Millets and have a look around. Dont
    rush into buying the first bag you see and ask the guys and gals in the
    store about them, they may be sales people but some actually do give
    good advice.

When buying one, make sure that it has a cover with a zip that allows
    you to cover all the straps for carrying it, as in airports they can be very
    sticky about these type of things.. It essentially turns it into a kind of soft
    suitcase with a regular carrying handle at the top.

These are some of the most popular brands around and what you are
    likely to find in the stores. The Lowe Alpine factory store in Offaly is gone
    now but there is a factory store for the Sport House in Waterford, if you
    know Waterford at all, its in the Northern Industrial Estate on the Cork
    Road side of the city.

Sporthouse
    Lowe Alpine
    Columbia
    North Face

If you know anyone who'e heading to the US or Canada before you go,
    get them to collect you one of the North Face or Columbia packs over
    there as they are much cheaper than over here.

Best of luck,

Tox :)

thanks toxic paddy its much appreciated, i stay in dublin though, never set foot in waterford (or most countys in ireland) in my life.

I suppose i would be willing to goto €150, or maybe a tad more if it was really worth that extra few shillings

and apologies but
    When buying one, make sure that it has a cover with a zip that allows
    you to cover all the straps for carrying it, as in airports they can be very
    sticky about these type of things..

i dont really get what your meaning there, you mean make sure the hood/cover comes over the straps so they arent visible?

I asked someone today in work aswell and they said there was a camping store up near parnell street at the ugc end, maybe thats the one in mary street that you mentioned pete, when i get a chance ill take a walk up for myself and look around.

thx for the info chaps :)

[edit - was pete that mentioned about that shop not kali]

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

When you look at a rucksack, there is one side where all the straps are that you use to carry it... most of the rucksacks these days have a cover that folds away, this unfolds and allows you to cover all these straps and there is a zip around the outside, so when its done it looks like a rucksak from one side and the otherside is just flat.. no straps etc...

Any idea what Im talking about yet????? :D

lowe alpine factory shop down in tullamore is worth a trip for bargains too.. I've gotten stuff down there for halfprice loads of times..

Outdoor Adventure Store
    34/35 Liffey st Upr, 1
    (01) 8725177

Just off Henry St at the side entrance to Arnotts as youre heading to Abbey St

Ramblers Way Camping Shop
    57/58 Mary st, 1
    (01) 8726959

This is the one thats near the UGC running parallel to Parnell St
    If you go to the other end of Henry St (opposite to OConnell St end) and keep walking, there are 2 camping supply stores on your right 2 streets
    down.. one is Ramblers way and the other is Millets, methinks..

• Advertisement
Advertisement