Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Previously viewed PPV programs on old Card

Options
  • 29-07-2003 10:49am
    Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

D'ya the way when you pay for a Box Office movie or PPV event, your card just authorises it because there is a credit limit of €50 or whatever on it and then some time before you bill is due Sky call your box and download any details off the card so they can charge you????? Right, well here's my question. What happens when you get your new card? Is the purchase information still available to Sky or do you get away with paying for any events still on the old card?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Good question and you can provide the answer i think.
    :)
    Personally i would say the latter. PPV's are stored on the card so you may get away with it.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

there was only about a tenner on the card so I'm don't care one way or the other. It would be interesting to know though. Sky could potentially lose a lot of money by changing their card.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Sky are money grabbers they are not going to leave money like that lying around.

I say and i will be correct on this that its transfered onto the new card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

no luck i'm afraid. all booked events/movies are still there with the new card

it must save the info on the Digibox then for it to copy to the new card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i'd say its more than likely saved in a database at sky somewhere
    and this is cross checked anytime you order a ppv event to ensure you dont go over your limit

from what the rep in Sky told me they basically call your box initially, give the card a Eur50 credit limit and then when you order a movie or event it doesn't actually make a call, just checks your credit limit on the card. Then about a week before your bill is due Sky make a call to the box and download info from your card so they know what to bill you. If the events on my card were never accessed by Sky before I changed my card to the new one then unless the box is capable of holding info from the card so it can copy it to the new card then I don't see how Sky could every know about any events on the old card.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sky never phone the box. They tell it via Satellite to "phone home"!

Part of the Ver 3 SW upgrade (or earlier one) was to put all unverified PPV on the card AND the box. When the box successfully ever phones sky and the Sky account updated then, sky delete the PPV event watched.

So it is transferred when you change to a new card.

And if you NEVER connect the phone but sell the box and the box is connected with a new card, your old account will be debited.

Or if the box explodes and you put the card into a new box, then when it connects succesfully you will be debited.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The info must be stored on both the card and the box. The system has to be able to cope with your box blowing up (and your box needing to be replaced) or a five year old kid swallowing your card (and your card needing to be replaced).

There must be some sort of 'copying' procedure which happens when you get a new card or new digibox.

If you have no phoneline connected - then there is no way Sky can know what you have or haven't ordered.

I'm sure they didn't want to wipe the slate clean for all abusers of this system when they decided to replace the 7 million or so cards!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Just beat me to it Watty! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

Guys... Clear the box's memory before putting in the new card (ie put in a card upside down and power down and up again).... This should do the trick. The box remembers the credit on the old card and updates the new care once you put it in!!!

My card lost it's memory by itself..... has anyone got any idea why this could have happened!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally posted by Skyhater
    Guys... Clear the box's memory before putting in the new card (ie put in a card upside down and power down and up again).... This should do the trick. The box remembers the credit on the old card and updates the new care once you put it in!!!

I'd guess that is a waste of time as as soon as you take out a blank/upside down card the box "remembers" the previous card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

well if the box bows up and the card is in it at the time what do they do then?? give you an estimated bill like the esb:confused::D

Advertisement