Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perth--Anyone been there?

Options
  • 28-07-2003 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hey all,

Im just wondering has anyone been to Perth and if so what is it like (living, accomodation, jobs, nightlife, weather, people). I know I could probably get alot of this on the web but a personal opinion would be nice.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

I presume you mean Perth Australia rather than Perth Scotland?

I've been there a good couple of times, most recently this year. I was pleasantly surprised by how much it had improved in the last few years. It used be miles behind - I still remember going to a pub that closed at 9pm!

Lots to see and do, and good nightlife in Northbridge. Everything very cheap and great deals available to Bali etc. Try sightseeing and fish n chips in Fremantle, surfing on the beaches, a trip to Rottnest Island. Lots of Irish bars - try JB O Reillys which only employs Irish staff. And try breakfast at Frazers in Kings PArk.

Two other stats:

- Perth has the highest percentage of millionaires in the world
    - It's the second windiest city in the world.

Just watch out for the flies!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 cannonfodder

Have not been there in ages, but Query is right.. really nice place.. worth a visit for definite..

Kings park is really nice, relaxing and a great view of the city..

Accomadation has probably changed but I stayed in a backpackers called HayStreet beside the Perth Mint, about a 10 min (slow) walk from town.. I think it is under new management but was really good when i was there..

There are loads of other options of places to stay over there..

Bars are good and loads of places to eat.. Some nice beaches within bus distance, and the best thing is that (when I was there), since it is on the far side to the touristy parts of Oz, there are not a huge amount of travelers...

The West coast has got some really cool spots to see, Cervantes: Sand Pinnacles (columns of rock sticking out of the dessert), Monkey Mia: Dolphins (but bus loads of fellow travellers), Broome: Cable Beach..

It is such a long coast though, that it takes ages (48 hours) to get from Perth to Broome..

Enjoy

Cannon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Spent a week there recently.. nice city..
    Most of the nightlife happens in Northbridge,
    and there's loadsa backpacker hostels there.
    I stayed in one called Madcats.. cool spot..

Freenamtle (a quick train ride away) is also a cool spot,
    by the beach.. aka Freo

I thought Port Douglas (North Queensland) was the place with the highest percentage of Millionaires in the world(due to all the sugar cane farmers). Also highest percentage of bachelors.

I suppose both go hand in hand ;)

Advertisement