Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed about getting Sky.

Options
  • 28-07-2003 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Im interested in getting Sky but I dont know any of the prices of the different packages in euros and the sky.com website isnt very helpfull. Can anyone give me any info on the different packages and there prices or basically anything? The Sport channels are a must for me.

If ya know anything feel free to help :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

There's a price list for some of the main packages here. It's not exhaustive (doesn't include the package I'm currently on for example - Sky Premier channels + Family Pack @€;44 per month (video's going to be working overtime this month, then I go back to Family Pack only))

The cheapest way to get Sky is to subscribe to the Sky World package for the first month. You'll get installation for €75, including free dish and digibox when you do that. You can then pick any package after one month of Sky World.

You need to subscribe for a minimum of 12 months on any package (though you can change your package every 30 days).

You must connect a phone line to the box for the first 12 months. It's in the contract. To be honest I've only had the line connected for the 5 minutes the installer was present but they may notice (they send a signal to the box to call them) and you will be in breach of your contract if it isn't connected.

The box and dish are your property from day 1. You need to fulfill the contract as stated but the box and dish are yours (I'm just saying this before watty does!).

That's the opening salvo of information. Any questions at all, feel free to ask. A silly amount of people always seem glad to help.

Oops, meant to add:

Some places seem to be running a reduced installation charge of €15 (rather than €75) at the moment. I've seen the signs in the Dixons window. I don't know if your local independent installer is doing this & I don't know how long the offer is for. They usually do a reduced rate install before the Premiership starts so it may last for a few weeks yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 masterclassman

Thanks for the info. Yeah noticed its €15 euro till the end of july. Should I go into my local electrical shop and see what they say or do I just ring up sky myself? Also do you need a credit card for sky as I have only Laser ?

Also the phone line in the house is nowhere near the tv is set up? does this matter?

Lack of credit card is no problem. Direct debit from any bank account is just as good (it's the way I pay). Laser card is no good to them.

Phone is a problem. The installer won't do the install if the line isn't plugged into the box (actually Sky have become really picky about doing manual installs so the installer might not even be able to). They'll string the line over within reason (the install in my father's house is quite neat even though the connection is in the next room). How far away (running around or through:eek: the walls) is it?

I wouldn't go through Sky for the install for a few small reasons, the main one being that you will not get to pick which brand of box you want (Panasonic preferred in my opinion). I don't know who the chains use for the installs. I went to a local independent that seemed good. And they were - the chap hung out of the window to put the dish on the outer wall (I'm up three floors). And came back a few months later (for quite a reasonable fee) to put it in the bathroom when the city council told me to get it off the outer wall or go to court (Gerorgian building, who knew! (er, I did, to be honest)

• Advertisement

The phone line is three rooms away including a narrow hall. Its about 30 feet away? Is this too far? And when you say not to go through sky for the install do you mean I should just go to my local retailer?

Im sorry if I sound totally confused but I really dont know where to begin to get sky.

If I go to my local retailer tomorrow and ask him about sky will he order and install it for me or do I have to ring sky and then ask my local retailer??

If you could go through this in a few easy steps would ya tell them to me. (I really have no clue :S )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I'd go with the local retailer. He'd take your order and organise his installer to do the work for you.

K. Thanks for the help people. If I have any more questions Ill make sure ill ask ;)

I just thought of another thing lol.

When I go to my local retailer tomorrow will he show me a catalouge of the different packages and the prices or what because I really dont know what to go for....Im thinking Sky sports world and the family pack....?Will I just point out to him the one I want or do I need to be prepared when I go in?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

If he is any good, he'll show you the prices.

There are around a hundred combos of packages, but if you go for the Sky Sports World package, really all the channels in the Family Pack are included, the difference for the Kids pack, for instance is minimal.

Or you could say to the shop "I want to get all the sport and entertainment channels, but not the movie channels." :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by masterclassman
    If you could go through this in a few easy steps would ya tell them to me. (I really have no clue :S )
    Basically the procedure would be that you call to your local retailer and sign the contract (including giving your bank details for payment). Whether you pay for the install there and then may be up to you (I paid when it was installed). They'll organise everything for you. They send the contract back to Sky who will then send a viewing card out to you at your address. When you get this card the installer can come and do the deed so you call your retailer and let them know that the card has arrived.

That's basically it. When you talk to your local retailer it's worth finding out what brand of digiboxes they can offer you. Personally I'd recommend a Panasonic over any of the competing brands. It's a nice-looking box and slightly faster at displaying the onscreen EPG (the Now and Next menu). I suspect others would agree.

30 feet doesn't sound too long for the phone line. There may be an additional charge for the cost of the cabling (given that it's longer than average) but this is unlikely to be very much. Your local retailer will be able to tell you this when you call (or be able to find out from the installer they use).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

they will have details of all the packages

Ok.Thanks for the help...again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Just got Sky installed 2 weeks ago, rang a 1-800 number (havn't got it to hand) which was a sat installer, took my name and address, 4 days later got the card in the post, rang the installer to tell them i got the card on a friday, they called monday and set up the system.

Got a Panasonic TU-DSB40 reciever and a 80cm mesh dish.

Had to have a telephone socket nearby to complete the installation and leave it plugged in for at least 24 hours so that sky could ring back to check that the line was still active.

Aparently i have to have the reciever connected to the box for the forst 12 months, if i don't i get a warning from Sky to do so and then need to reconnect it...

Installer was paid €15 for the installation and i had to the Sky world Family Pack (€60) for 1 month and change it to whatever after that.

Sky Sports 1+2+3+Extra, Movies Premier, Movies Max+Cinema.

Sky direct ROi 1-800-535-767

Installer in Cork 021-4318355

You will need a credit card or direct debit which will be filled in and signed by you at time of installation.

All the local retailers wanted €100/euro for install, and quoted at least a 3 week waiting period..

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by DivX
    Aparently i have to have the reciever connected to the box for the forst 12 months, if i don't i get a warning from Sky to do so and then need to reconnect it...

Have you, or anybody for that matter, been warned by Sky to have the phone line connected. Mines never connected unless I need to and they've never said anything, even when I rang them to say my box wasn't going online properly. I just lied and said it's always connected. Couldn't care less about it being connected it's just that the wire is unsightly trailing across the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Seems that its only recently a requirement for new installations(actually read the terms&conditions and was told by sky directly), although phone lines weren't manditory before this though(maybe 1/2 months ago).

I've seem from other forums that after a predetermined time, a message will come up on screen from the box saying that the box couldn't connect, failing to reconnect the line, a letter comes from sky and if you still fail to conect the box, you will be liable for the remaining cost of the sky equipment.

Of course the phone line isn't needed if the box isn' subsidised, i.e you bought your own box.

Still don't like the idea of sky (big brother) gathering viewing preferences or whatever when the box connects to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by DivX
    Seems that its only recently a requirement for new installations(actually read the terms&conditions and was told by sky directly), although phone lines weren't manditory before this though(maybe 1/2 months ago).

Contractually it became mandatory this time last year.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

Do Sky collect viewing data via the phone line? I thought it was only for billing.

Advertisement