Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Brands of Whiskey?

• 27-07-2003 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭

We open night club in our town. It'll be the Irish Pub inside as well. So, I need ur help! I wanna know what sorts of whiskey people drink in Ireland and Scotland to order all of most popular sorts. Please post a few of the most famous brands of whiskey!

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Probably the most popular brand of whiskey in Ireland is Jameson.
    Other popular brands are Bushmill's and Paddy.
    Black Bush is a favourite of mine, is more expensive than standard Bushmills, but there is a big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm rather a fan of Jack Daniels.

Why don't you try getting in one or two obscure brands? Scotland has tonnes of local distilleries that make really good whiskeys, or so I'm told...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Ok kewl i'll try them brands. Thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Didnt you say you were 17 before ?

This cant be legal :p hehe

lol well no its not me thats opening it. A friend asked me and I dont have a clue about whiskey so I decided to post the question for her here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Talisker, Oban, Aberfeldy, Glen Morangie, Black Bush. All lovely. Price them, then just buy them.

Bushmills, Powers & Glenfiddich if you're feeling cheap. Get the Bushmills anyway. And a bottle of Dimple (comes in a nice dimply bottle too). Bottle of Pigs Nose too for that easy-going taste.

Jameson tastes like paint stripper. Might as well dump all the good scotch and get in a bottle of Black & White to represent Scotland if you're going to rely on Jameson to represent Ireland.

The "distilled by Presbyterians" rule generally works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Where I work we sell...

Irish: Jameson, Jameson 12 Year Old, Jameson Crested Ten, Paddy, Powers, Tyrconnell, Bushmills and a couple of other obscure ones.
    Scotch: Black & White, Teachers, Cream of the Barley, Haig, and one or two others.
    American: Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Southern Comfort.

... oh, and Canadian Club too.

ok thanks a million guys. You've been a gr8 help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Of course, the owner could always try making their own...:)

• Advertisement

She's from a different country so she wouldnt have a clue what to add to make Irish Whiskey. Although if anyones got any instructions i can e-mail her with them :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Just wait till the Corinthian see's this...and I thought Bard was thorough :)

Johnnie Walker - Black Label tbh, afaik, imo, gg, shot, wp.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

We also sell Redbreast 12 year old Irish whiskey, Tullamore Dew, and a couple of others I can't remember. It's a fairly comprehensive stock of whiskeys for one bar in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'll second Glenmorangie.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Bard
    It's a fairly comprehensive stock of whiskeys for one bar in fairness.

That it is....wouldnt see many Irish pubs with as decent a selection of whiskey....although you're sorely lacking on the whisky side, IMHO ;) I would expect at least one from each of the major Scotch regions....even if its just the somehwhat-hackneyed "Classic Malt" collection.

Oh - and in terms of Irish whskies....I'd strongly advise anyone to try out the Knappogue Castle , or Conemara ("regular" or cask-strength) which would be my two current favourite Irish blended and Irish single malt respectively.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Gordon

I'll third it. Lovely! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

My own personal favourite is Talisker.

If you want to experience a mind-boggling selection of whiskeys, you should visit 'The Malt Shovel' in the old part of Edinburgh sometime. It is floor to ceiling shelves of all the small stills around Scotland, and their menu card is arranged by price, so you can choose what you would like to try depending on what your budget is.

I love going there when I'm in Scotland, I've yet to remember leaving the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Jameson 1780

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Laphroaig. Lovely peaty flavour. I can't believe people class 'Teachers' under Whiskey. tut, tut, tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Lagavulin - The best of the Islay whiskies. (Which are the best of the single malts, which in turn, are the best whiskies).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Bushmills Single Malt (Green Label)

and I can't believe that no one has mentioned it yet

MIDLETON

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Ah Midleton Very Rare. Bought two measures in Neary's pub off Grafton st a couple of weeks ago. Cost me nearly 30 euro for both. And it's only 120 yoyo's a bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

I'll drink to that. Also Dalwhinnie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

RedBreast

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Monasette

If only to show that there is more than one whiskey maker in Ireland, you could also include Tyrconnell Single Malt, or even Kilbeggan (which is amazingly smooth for a blended whiskey, and a lot better than the old whiskey from which it takes its name).

As for Midleton, very nice but waaaay overpriced (particularly for a blended whiskey)

/John

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Just make sure that nothing decent goes into an Irish Coffee...

Powers is just about good enough for that....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by denis_o_leary
    We open night club in our town. It'll be the Irish Pub inside as well. So, I need ur help! I wanna know what sorts of whiskey people drink in Ireland and Scotland to order all of most popular sorts. Please post a few of the most famous brands of whiskey!

I'll have a 17 year old single malt Ardbeg from the Isle of Islay please. Peaty yet sweet and an orgasm for the tongue so it is.

And please don't charge an absolute for it. :)

Cheers and gl!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Heh, a guy I knew worked in a pub in Scotland and some guy came up to him and asked him for a Talisker and coke - he point blank refused to serve him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Heh, a guy I knew worked in a pub in Scotland and some guy came up to him and asked him for a Talisker and coke - he point blank refused to serve him.

This episode makes an irrefutable case for eugenics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kantankerous

what is the difference between malt whiskey and regular whiskey, is it just age? what is malt.
    im ignorant of such issues but keen to be learned as im only a young drinker,
    cheers
    k

Advertisement