Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[ Mod News ] Galactic Conquest

Options
  • 27-07-2003 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

Many of you have been asking about this mod so i have deemed it necessary to give you a good bit of news and information about it :)

bfgc.jpg
    Interview between Active9 Studio and GC Mod leader, Jon Boland

Active9 Studio: So what is your name and what responsibility do you hold for the Galactic Conquest mod team?

Jon Boland: My name is Jon Bolandand i am Project leader aswell as mapper.

Active9 Studio: What gave you the idea to create a mod for bf1942 about Star Wars?

Jon Boland: Well seeing a game where you can have mutliple ways of fighting as a team, along with the love for Star Wars i have, and not seeing anything like it done before, i thought it would be cool to be the first to do such a thing.

Active9 Studio: I am sure the public feels the same way you do, tell us what we can expect to see when playing this mod.

Jon Boland: Well apart from the recognisable factions, weapons, locations and numerous vehicles, we hope the objective mode that were including forces alot more teamplay than original battlefield does, were trying to achieve a situation where, if you dont work as a team, it becomes very unfun, and you loose quickly

Active9 Studio: So how many team mebers does it take to create a mod of this scale and calibur?

Jon Boland: Well, weve had team members come and go over the last 6 - 7 months, so it kinda knocks the mod off track, aswell as our fair share of fakes just trying to get their hands on the mod. When making a total conversion, it does take time, so id say around 5 - 10 is comfortable, but if you wanna do things quickly, 15 - 20 people is essential of course, more time u spend on it, the better it can be

Active9 Studio: It shows that you have spent plenty of time creating this mod with a plethora of new objects, sounds, and voice overs. What can people expect for the first release? How big will the download be? Also how many maps will be included?

Jon Boland: the 1st release will include 2 brand new player models for the Hoth rebel and snowtrooper, Snowspeeders, millenium falcon, TIE bombers and AT-ST's aswell as many of the recognisable star wars weapons, from the E-11 to the DL-44 Han Solo blaster. The mod will only be 1 map as the ammount of custom sounds, textures, models and coding makes it a whopping 342mb, with an add on 2 weeks later featuring Tatooine and Endor and a whole load of bug fixes and new stuff.

Active9 Studio: Sounds like a lot of fun, when can we expect to be able to download this exciting mod?

Jon Boland: August 1st 2003 *cough* my Birthday so beers all round please! *cough*

Active9 Studio: Here here *rasies mug*. Thanks for your time Jon and I am sure everyone looks forward to your mod release.

Jon Boland: Thank you for the interview and hope you all enjoy the mod

The release date for Galactic Conquest is [My Birthday :D ] 1st August. No size has been set but they have given great 56k support with the announcement that you can order a copy of the mod on CD from jolt. You can order the CD from Jolt.co.uk here. It costs about €10 or something with posting etc.
    Get Galactic Conquest, the FREE Star Wars inspired Mod for Battlefield 1942, delivered to your door on the day of public release!

Even if you're on a humble 56k connection you can have Galactic Conquest installed and running and be on the servers at the same time as everyone else! No waiting for 3.5k/second 16 hour downloads, connection timeouts and oversubscribed download servers.

The mod is FREE all you're paying for is replication, packaging, postage and the CD .....

thumb_4.jpg thumb_1.jpg thumb_2.jpg

For more on Galactic Conquest, visit their website at www.swbattlefield.jolt.co.uk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

/me pats dsl and college connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

/me hits ISDN box a boot in the a*se

Looks interesting tho, wonder what AT-AT's and AT-ST's will be like to drive, probably end up camped to feck like DC/bf1942 planes tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

thumb_5.jpg thumb_3.jpg thumb_4.jpg
    thumb_5.jpg thumb_3.jpg thumb_1.jpg

Also a preview trailer has been released. You can find the mirror on the Jolt.co.uk downloads

The pictures above are from a custom map called Hoth that will be released along with the mod on August 1st. The vehicles on the map include Tie fighters, Tie bombers, T-47 Airspeeders/Snowspeeders, AT-ST i]All Terrain Scout Transport[/i and the Millennium Falcon. The the Tie fighters and Tie bombers hold one person, while the Snowspeeder and the AT-ST can hold two people. AT-ST's come complete with laser cannons and a concussion grenade launcher. The Snowspeeders have a rear laser cannon as well as the ones used by the pilot. The Millennium Falcon can hold 6 people, 2 gunners, the pilot, and 3 passenger positions.

There are five classes in the game too, with the weapons given to each similar to Desert Combat. The classes are sniper, light assault, heavy assault, antitank, and support. Landmines have been given to the antitank and support has a medic pack and wrench along with a deployable gun. All the classes have different styles of pistols, for example the sniper's pistol has a small scope on it, while others dont. The antitank 'Flechette' is very powerful and has a good fast rate of fire, and can be used as anti-air if the soldier is good ;)

That flachette sounds very much like a flak cannon, this mod is definately coming along nicely, should be a good fun game when its released :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

is movie any good?

i dam my 56k. but soon, soon i will have netsource.

mod looks great. was a bit sceptacle at first, but it looks like there doing some nice work. wish the transformers mod look as good [or non-fictional].

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

what vehicles in the way of tanks will the rebels have i wonder? Will they get them from the rts games?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

i imagine they will take designs from the expanded games/universe. but if they choose to go down the realism over team fairness path the rebels wont have any tanks at all [well, not on hoth anyway].

any news on any other maps? are they gonna do space only maps, for star battles etc... would be nice.

also they should make the death star a vehicle. might make teams a tad unfair though.

Originally posted by Jimeatsmenu
    also they should make the death star a vehicle. might make teams a tad unfair though.

Unless you gave the rebels a SCUD.... ;)

They have used many, many vehicles from the Star Wars movies. Though as some of them were too large or unsutible for the purpose needed they have created some of there own. They did debate about this on their forums on jolt.co.uk and most people agreed with them. There own designs keep with the Star Wars architecture and many are just modified from vehicles seen in the Galaxy or from designs on the Star Wars website etc. They are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Hmm me cant wait to get into the AT AT lol

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Had a look at the trailer yesterday. Nice background music (some of John Williams).

Looked interesting theres no doubt. I've always wnated to have a crack at the battle of Hoth. Nice Rebel turret emplacements blasting away at the AT-ST Walkers. Didn't see the storm troopers in the trailer though. Only Walkers, Tie-Fighters and Bombers. Rebel troops were present though.

I wasn't overly impressed with the AT-ST walkers although they did look nice. The problem was the legs on the walker didn't move so it looked like it was gliding over the landscape. Still a minor point and given how popular this will likely be I've no doubt it will be sorted.

I'm really looking forward to this mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

I'm not a great star wars fan, but I have to say, this mod looks fantastic. I'll definitely be giving it a try when it comes out on Friday. Now all I have to do is get a stable intenet connection :(

[ Shakes Cyber-Fist™ at Irish Broadband ]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by Jimeatsmenu
    any news on any other maps? are they gonna do space only maps, for star battles etc... would be nice

well the locations that they have at current r Hoth, Tatooine and the Forest Moon of Endor. So that sounds pretty cool. I dunno about any other maps. All the info is on their site on Jolt

The Galactic Conquest public alpha 0.1a will be available exclusively from Jolt online gaming and download links will be made public on the Official galactic-Coquest forums between 7am - 8am Friday 1st August GMT.
    The download links will be uncapped giving you fast download speeds so you can get playing as soon as possible.

Heres what you can expect from Alpha 0.1a

Factions:
    • Rebel Alliance
    • Imperial Forces

Maps:
    • gc_Hoth

Player Classes:
    • Sniper
    • Light Infantry
    • Heavy Infantry
    • Anti Armour
    • Support

Rebel Alliance Weapons:
    • Knife
    • DL-44 Blaster Pistol
    • DH-17 Blaster Pistol
    • Kylan 3
    • A295 Blaster Rifle
    • Dressilian Sniper Rifle
    • Tracker 16 Repeating Blaster
    • Golan Arms Flechette Launcher
    • E-web Deployable repeating blaster
    • Landmine
    • Medipack
    • Hydrospanner

Rebel Alliance Vehicles:
    • Incom T47 Air Speeder (Snowspeeder)
    • YT-1300 Corellian Freighter (Millenium Falcon)
    • Anti vehicle Turret
    • Anti Personnel Turret

Imperial Weapons:
    • Knife
    • Sorosub QS25 Blaster Pistol
    • Epel Jaken Razor Series
    • E-11 Sniper rifle
    • E-11 Blaster Rifle
    • TL-21 Light repeating blaster
    • Golan Arms Flechette launcher
    • E-web Deployable repeating
      blaster
    • Landmine
    • MediPack
    • Hydrospanner

Imperial Vehicles:
    • Seiner Fleet Systems TIE bomber
    • All terrain Scout Transport (AT-ST)
    • Original Weapon, Radio, Vehicle and player sounds
    • Complete new background and ingame menu
    • Complete new HUD to fit the Star Wars theme

So, to sum that all up. Galactic Conquest's first public alpha release will take place sometime between 7am - 8am [Irish Time / GMT ] Friday 1st August. What a lovley Birthday presant this will make :D

Sound, i'll get up and leech it so :)

Then off to get beer for the weekend (there's something Great and Evil™ stirring in Galway this Sat&Sun) and work till 10pm.

Ill defo start this download before I go to sleep on friday morning (dont question my sleeping patterns, their bad, i know), then have a blast at about 4pm on friday evenin when I wake up, should be fun fiddling about with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

No At-At!!!!

awwwww.

(note: It shouldnt be THAT big seeing its a alpha and the vehicles are few)

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Ill defo start this download before I go to sleep on friday morning (dont question my sleeping patterns, their bad, i know), then have a blast at about 4pm on friday evenin when I wake up, should be fun fiddling about with it :)

You won't have it by then.

they'd want to have it mirrored beforehand to take the demand.

Advertisement