Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menorca?

Options
  • 26-07-2003 2:59pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just booked a week in Menorca, Cala de Forcat resort.
    Its just myself the wife and son who will be 11months on day we fly out.
    Ive been to Lanzarote,Majorca,the Costas,and Crete.
    We decided on Menorca or Minorca whichever way its spelt because of the relatively short flight 2 and a half hrs approx.
    Im just wondering if anyone can comment on this island for a family holiday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Was in Menorca year before last with friends and 4 kids in tow. Must say perfect for a family holiday think I stayed quite close to cala en Forcat. It is so totally family orientated. Very rarely anything stays open after 12 midnight. But everything caters for kids. They are welcome everywhere. It is a beautiful island much greener than majorca and so easy to get around. If you hire a car go to ciutadella and mahon and the tallest mountain in the islands el toro. Ciutadella is beautiful (the old capital) really pretty harbour with shops and restaurants cut into the walls of the harbour. Mahon more modern but still beautiful. Walk along the marina see how the other half lives with their big boats. Be careful swimming in the sea as it can get very deep very quickly. Its not as blistering hot as the other islands still hot though coz it seems to have a breeze blowing in off the sea constantly so be careful with the baby make sure you have him well sunscreened up. Have a ball.
    need any more info just ask.
    gonk

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks Gonker sounds just perfect.
    I do intend hiring a car as once one hires a car once a holiday is not the same without a car and freedom to go where you like.
    Both Ciutadella and Mahon are on our list for a day trip already so thanks for re assuring us.
    Is it lively in a non larger lout kind of way?
    Sort of like folk out walking the streets at night fall,restarants,i love doing that ,basically is there a buzz about but no mad ravers about.
    God i sound old ,only 2 years ago in Majorca i was going mad and locked most nights:)
    AMAZING WHAT A KID DOES TO YA :)

aaghh just had a big long post typed up and the internet connection went down again....:mad:
    Anyway it has a really nice atmosphere. No lager louts. Infact some teenagers were staying in our apartments and were moaning about the fact that there were no lager louts in Menorca. There are lovely restaurants cant remember names but most have bouncy castles for the kids (your little fella too small maybe) Plenty of large screens to watch the premiership if thats your thing. They love the Irish over there and they love kids. Good water park there not as big as Majorca ones or spanish ones so suitable for little ones. If I can think of anything else will post more. When you going?
    gonk

Oh yes try http://www.carjet.co.uk/rentacar/spain/menorca/index.shtml for car rental they are supposed to be really cheap.
    gonk

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

We are flying out on Sept 7th and staying in Oasis Park Apartments,found some good reviews here.

http://www.holidays-uncovered.co.uk/frames.htm

Thanks a lot for your time ,herself is a lot happier after reading your threads and reviews :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

A mate of mine is heading to Menorca this weekend.. shes a vegetarian..

Anyone know if there are any good Vegetarian restaurants, or even Chinese, Thai and Indian restaurants as they usually have good vegetarian dishes..??

Anyone any recommendations?

Thanks,

Tox

My sister was there two years ago and she was fine ( she is a veggie) she said there was plenty of veg options in all the restaurants.
    gonk

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Any specific recommendations she can make Gonker?

Just rang her there. She cannot remember any specific names but she said any restaurant where she was did vegie meals. She stayed in Cala n Forcat she thinks and she said Diegos on the sea front was lovely for pizzas and to watch the sunset basic grub but good atmosphere. All the chinese restaurants were ok too. The Aquapark restaurant was cheap and cheerful too. Sorry couldnt be more helpful but she did say she had less problems eating out over there than she has over here.
    gonk

Advertisement