Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skystar 2 tv

Options
  • 23-07-2003 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Just ordered a Skystar 2 DVB card for PC ( http://www.satonline.co.uk/pccards.htm)
    Question 1. What will I be able to recieve with it ?
    Question 2. Can I use it with an old Sky dish or will I have to stick a dual LNB on my current Sky Digital dish.
    It being so cheap and a spec sheet the lenght of your arm I couldn't resist...the only problem si I havn't a clue :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

1. Yes, if you have a reasonably well specced pc (PII or higher). FTA channels are just about possible on a P200 with a good gfx card.

However, the software bundled with the card is rubbish. See www.progdvb.com for a far superior (and free) alternative. It also offers you the capability of receiving encrypted channels with the Yanksee plugin.

2. If you want to use the PCI card and the Digibox simultaneously on 28E, you'll need a dual lnb. Or else get another dish and lnb and point it wherever (Astra, Hotbird, Hispasat etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

This card has no DSP or media bidge it is really designed for Data only.

But since the TV and Radio is sent as data DVBPRog or similar on a at least 800MHz PC will let you watch TV / listen Radio on the PC and even record.

For as little as a 400MHz or lower (down to 120MHz) you need the more expensive type card which has following extra compared with SkyStar2:

IR remote handset and receiver
    Real TV out built in using DSP Chip
    Real audio HiFi out and Digital Audio out built in
    DSP & media bridge chips for HW performance Satellite viewing to TV playback
    Option for a CAM interface board.
    Work (drive TV set / HiFi) with no CPU overhead

But you pay more too.

However like DVD playpack on a PC just in SW the Skystar2 works as good as the power of your PC and graphics card and whichever SW you install. Usually it about £55 to £60

The more expensive €200 type cards like DVBs Nexus, Technotrend Premium and the Skystar model don't depend on you r PC or Graphics card and have many output connector built in.

Advertisement