Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future is bright Rejoice?

Options
  • 22-07-2003 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

The future is bright Rejoice?

Listen up now for the scoop of the year live here on Boards satellite forum. Last night or should i say yesterday afternoon, after i had wrote my profound article of inspiration i had realised that this was not me i have to bring the people what they want, not some well written excellently worded magnificent thread On why people should awaken but to bring good news into there homes and workplaces.

In this process of define excellency on my own behalf of course i stumbled upon a gold mine of news that could possibly shake the boundaries of which this forum stands upon. Yesterday evening I had phoned those wonderful people at sky and before anyone starts the usual old crap of believing in the ideals of doubting THOMAS i truely believe what i am about to reveal, this is monumental, this is bibical in proporations, the fact is i phoned sky 8 times yesterday evening in fact in search of a scoop for you the people.

My revelations are as follows in the fact that we the Irish people are set to have BBC and its variations available to us on our EPG's on the sometime in August , also stated was that ITV, CH4 and FIVE will become available through your other channels FTA from sometime in autumn but unforunately wont be available on the EPG till the new year.

The biggest news of all is that 15 European channels will become available through other channels in the new year examples include ZDF, WDR, SAT1, RTL, RTL4, TVE, these to name a few.

Now this my present and suprise to you the readers and i hope take solace and REJOICE from this brilliantly written article.

Lets Rejoice this will become the biggest thread ever 6 votes

Brilliant article
    0% 0 votes
    Good article
    16% 1 vote
    Not great article
    16% 1 vote
    Its Crap And I am a doubting Thomas
    66% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Good news, if it happens.

I think they're telling you what you want to hear, though. I'll believe it when I see it. Sorry to be so skeptical, but we've heard it all before. :o

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I won't believe it until I see it (or possible read it in a reliable paper - the Sunday Business Post usually has reliable info regarding Sky).

Hmmm, two votes so far.

I wonder who voted for brilliant article :rolleyes: .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Listen the fact is this is the truth and the reality of the matter is in context you really cant handle the truth. Now I believe sky when 8 different people say the one thing and certainly dont have any credulous feeling towards one sky employee but eight kind of says to me this is possibly true despite the fact they have lied to us so many times before but on this occasion i believe this is goldust. Now in future i welcome your smart remarks but please dont get over zealous. As for the votes i make a point of not voting on my own thread .

Regards
    Big Willy

Over zealousness is one of my better traits :).

It is unusual that 8 sky customer care people had the same same story. I just think that is highly unlikely that we we see the BBCs channels on out EPG in August, even more unlikely that ITV, Ch4 and five will be on the EPG in the new year. I will eat my hat if either of these come true. Granted I will have to buy a hat first. I have had way too much experience of Sky spouting rubbish regarding the imminent Ha arrival of Sky+ since September 2001, so you'll forgive my skepticism.

Fair point on the votes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Tell me if I'm wrong, but has this not been heard all before many many times.

Many many many many many many many many many times. ;)

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Pinch of salt.

As said many many times in the inane thread, and as Shane alluded to, only a press release or a statement from the broadcasters concerned will make this guy believe this.

Let me believe that its true, but as far as UTV et al on Sky Digital, I will be forever a sceptic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darby OGill

Is it just me or does Big Willy's post not sound like one of those Nigerian e-mails? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"The biggest news of all is that 15 European channels will become available through other channels in the new year examples include ZDF, WDR, SAT1, RTL, RTL4, TVE, these to name a few."

Yawn - they are already free..- in fact a lot of them are on still on analog - anyone got an old sky box :) - Also you could even use a sky dish to see them if you fiddle around with a second LNB a switch and "other channels"

The phrase money for old rope comes to mind. - If lots of your customers are going to chuck in thier subscriptions 'cos they are using SKY to get other channels (take out card - volia BBC on UK EPG free.) - then it makes sense to offer it to them....

Not exactly offering any thing except convenience - I've been hearing rumours from NTL about "other channels" over the last three years - still have not reconnected. (Though might do just for BB )

• Advertisement

Is it just me or does Big Willy's post not sound like one of those Nigerian e-mails?

Sorry but i have taken my time out of my hectic schedule to acknowlegde your insult towards my post what in a nigerians name is a nigerian email.

Granted to shane i have read his posts in the past and they have been very concise and well written so fair deuce to him , he has brought us so many good posts and news but in regards to believing my statements i feel they are right but granted sky are very messy in regards they deal with us and we have heard it before that they must take lessons in customer service lessons in communist school of crap.

Thanks also to DMC for his thoughts but if this is true and comes to fruition i think we'd need a to shove rocket up SHANE's ass with a sky digital dish and box attached with the fore mentioned channels available.

I apologise for the rude remark buts lets just see how this pans out and hopefully get some more people's views on the situation.

Dont get me wrong i know how bad sky are and i have stated it.

Regards

Big Willy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i have rang Sky myself and the nice lady on the other end didn't have a clue what i was on about. she must have thought i was mad :cool:

Originally posted by big willy
    if this is true and comes to fruition i think we'd need a to shove rocket up SHANE's ass with a sky digital dish and box attached with the fore mentioned channels available.

God be with the days when you simply had to eat your hat. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭timpat

I agree with Darby O'Gill - Big Willy's posts do read a little strange!!! I wonder is he deliberately going for the 'Nigerian e-mail style'?

Re. the substance of them - I'm with the sceptics - certainly as far as the claims about C4, C5 and ITV are concerned. The e-mail responses posted elsewhere from ITV and C4 show clearly that they are nowhere near resolving the issues which have so far prevented their addition to the ROI EPG. C5 have been quite vocal in saying they have absolutely no interest in Ireland.

And as for phoning Sky - they'll tell you anything to get you signed up or to keep you signed up!!!!

Keep it clean, folks. No one would like a week's temp ban or longer now....

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    i have rang Sky myself and the nice lady on the other end didn't have a clue what i was on about. she must have thought i was mad :cool:

So that's 8 customer care people for Big Willy and 1 against.

Seriously, you should get the names of the people who told you that the channels were coming and roughly the time and date that you called. Write a letter to

Ian Shepherd.
    Customer Marketing Director,
    Sky Services,
    P.O. Box 43,
    Livingston,
    West Lothian,
    EH54 7DD.

and wait to see what response you get. The phone operators are well known for spouting rubbish, emails are often ignored but a written letter is usually dealt with fairly swiftly and usually by a competent person. Go on - it's only the price of a stamp.

I for one would be very interested to hear what they say (seems my ass is depending on it :rolleyes: ).

Damo this is directed specifically towards you get this right i wrote an article about something that i believed to be true , then we have slack jawed gawkers shane OC because he has launched a personal attack on me and my work critcising what i have said and saying what i have said is totally incredulous altogether. This is not the first time this has happened i rather not harp on about but it has got to a point even where yourself has said that BANS could be on the cards.

On lighter note i think this is a family feud directed doughnut homer and regular homer (shane OC ) has a problem with my doughnut.

What The hell is A NIGERIAN EMAIL????????

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Big Willy,
    How in the name of jaysus is Shane criticising you. You're the one thats criticising & slagging him. He is just skeptical like most of us because it's been reported sooooooooo many times that theese channels are to arrive on sky.

BTW I prefer Doughnut head Homer.

Willy: Its just unbelievable that 8 people told you the same thing, then Mossy rings up and on the first call, he is told its rubbish. What are the odds, eh? (Unless Mossy rang up and said "Big Willy said......") :)

Read the satellite board for a few weeks, get a feel for how things work around here (and who knows their stuff - like Shane, for instance!), then feel free to join in.

- Dave.

PS - Example of a Nigerian Email.

If someone can pick holes in your argument, therefore the argument doesnt hold much water.

Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

ZDF, WDR, SAT1, RTL, RTL4, TVE

No.
    These are free already all over Europe and here too if you spend very little money. They won't pay to be on the Sky UK/ROI Getto. In unlikely event they are it will be PAY. I won't, I get them all free already, good Irish European that I am.

BBC EPG in ROI in August

Not as such, no

BBC do not want to rock the boat. They will not pay for Irsh EPG nor do deal with Sky for Sky to pay them for all BBC to be on Irish EPG. Irish EPG will be unchanged.

From August if you reboot a Digibox in Ireland such that it does not load an Irish EPG. i.e UK card, upside down or Tesco Club card reboot etc., it will have BBC on EPG and Program Guide listings. This is *NOT* BBC on an Irish EPG.

You're starting to sound Trollish "big Willy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 pseud

Along with the usual "we are negotiating with ITV etc", the only unusual item contained in an email reply from Mark Deering on 16th July was:

"In addition, in recent weeks, the BBC has made a commitment to Sky to enable Sky to provide BBC 3, BBC 4, BBC News 24, BBC Parliament, CBBC and CBeebies to Sky Digital subscribers in Ireland in the near future"

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

pseud, You were very lucky to have received a reply from Mark deering. I have e-mailed him in the past many times and have not received a reply.

Big Willy, I am sorry but your replies to Shane have been out of order.
    You posted a poll, people replied gave their views based on your story, and you should not take offence.
    Shane OC, Watty, Mossey, all have been (Like myself) on this site for years. We have heard, similar reports to yours so many times.
    In fact nobody on this site is ever rude. If they are, DMC always has his hand on the "Delete" button.
    Shane was just expressing an opiinion.
    Mine?? The german stations will *Not* be on Sky in the near future. There is no market, as Watty said, they are already available in annalogue at 19 degrees and in the clear.

Advertisement