Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mirror Scratchplates

Options
  • 21-07-2003 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Lo all,

I need some help.

I wanna get mirror scratch plates on my guitars casue I
    used to have them years ago and they were great.

Does anyone know where I can get the material to
    cut one myself -mirrord plactic about 2mm/3mm thick?

OR

does anyone know any guitar techs that can do?

cheers fellow plank spankers:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You can get shiny metallic scratch plates anywere on the net, maybe in some shops in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

naa , I looked.

for my Strat no prob
    but for PRS SE no chance.

Also wanna make a replacement for my truss rod cover at the
    nut casue the current one looks a bit cheap.

I got a bad case of axe vanity;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

What about a piece of stainless steel shined up? how are you going to mount it on your PRS? I'll be putting a steel checker plate guard on my epiphone tomorrow probably and Blue LED's in the neck. Nice!

steel checker plate guard on my epiphone tomorrow probably and Blue LED's in the neck. Nice!

lol feylya , I like the cut of your Jib

:D:D:D

My PRS is the budget Santana version (no great fan of Santana, he a dude but Id rather not have his name on me headstock)

It comes with an SG type Scratch plate so I was gonna use that as a template to cut out a matching shiney plate.

Where u get this steel and how you cut it to shape?

I got it from a mate who had some in the pub. I'm gonna cut it with a drill, a file, and hacksaw and a **** load of patience!!

You could probably get it from a couch builders or metal suppliers if you could find one. You can get mirror acrylic but it's fairly expensive afaik.

• Advertisement

Word of advice - don't use steel. Well too heavy and hard to machine. Went with aluminium in the end and now it looks ...... interesting. Needs a bit more work. If you know any engineering lecturer or teacher, you could ask them about their plastic suppliers or Yellow Pages!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, Feyla, but how are you going to get the LED's to light up - where will the power be coming from ? :confused:

Magic! There'll be two contacts on the end of the neck that I'll solder 2 wires to. These 2 wires will going into the pickup cavity and there'll be a battery there. I'll probably require some sort of crazy circuit but I'll not be doing it for quite sometime methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Feyla:

The circuit wouldn't need to be that mad.

Any 555 timer chip (only 8 pins) would gived you at least two (I think!) seperate modulated signals.

And you're right to try with a battery - tapping off the mains...hang on, electric guitars don't draw any current, do they? The amp yes, but the guitar only transmits the induced current in the pick-ups' :confused:
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!!

Anyway, don't forget: Resistors in series with diodes! :)

wow, mutated into custom guitar thread:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Originally posted by Epitaph

Anyway, don't forget: Resistors in series with diodes! :)

Well if he was going to have a modulated LED lightshow, he would just need resistors for every LED on at the same time.

So if he has 8 LEDS, and only one is on at a time, then he would need just one resistor, much cleaner.

Actually, the way I was thinking of doing it was having a 555 timer going in a 10 decoder, with an led on each leg of the decoders output. then, put the timer up really fast, and the led's would seem to be on permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

I see what you're getting at, Giblet...I think. come back to it in a second.

Need to point out: That 8-pin 555 timer chip does not have 8 outputs - only two at most, probably only 1 TBH (can't quite recall). I only mentioned that it had 8 pins to note that it's easier to install / solder in than a 32-pin mutha. The other 6/7 pins are for powering the chip, and regulating the frequency and pulse duration of the output.

Right, back to Giblet's point. As the timer has bugger-all outputs, one would probably need 8 555 chips to modulate 8 LEDs (leaving aside the resistor issue for a second). This is, quite plainly, sheer madness (battery life, complexity of replicated circuitry).

If you're going for more than two LEDs Feyla, feck the 555 timer. There's probably something much better out there for multiple / sequential signalling that can be hardware-driven (i.e. not programmable).

BTW that single resistor : multiple LED trick with the 555 would require some totally unnecessary multiplexing/demultiplexer switching. 8 resistors would be waaaay easier to install, IMO.

These guys seem to have the same notions!

Originally posted by Giblet
    Well if he was going to have a modulated LED lightshow, he would just need resistors for every LED on at the same time.

I never mentioned a light show. It'd just be the LED's on permanently and by using a decoder to make the lights false at a high speed, chances are the battery would last longer.

And my name is Feylya - 2, repeat TWO y's!

Apologies to Juno for hijacking!

not at all!

Highly funky guitar geekery, keep it coming;)

So Juno, did you ever get that shiny plastic for your pickguard?

hi feylya

nope, not yet Im in the middle of a house move this month so wont be taking guitars apart untill I have a quite corner.

Still there must be arts and cratft shops that do this kinda jazz.

Must don art studenty type clothes and do some recon:D

What about your fantastic landing strip neck light project?

now that sounds like a mission,lol

totally unrelated check this out:

http://www.guitartrader.com/

they in states but they ship to UK for about 99 bucks.

I spotted this baby, i think i gotta get:

http://www.guitartrader.com/itempg.icl?orderidentifier=ID1060696917110731B3D39D674C&secid=1021&subsecid=1089&catid=1116&dirpage=dir3&itmid=31904&eflag=0&curitempos=6&numitems=8

droool, $989 , with 100 bucks postage on top thats still
    under a thousand euro for a ES 333, there about 2000 + in dublin.

I cant not get it, theres a fekking flying V in there for 500 bucks
    twin cutaway les paul for about 1400 euro.

and by god they ship !!!

whadda reckon, they say you need to wire them the dosh from outside the states but man thats a guitar I would never buy here cause of the obsene prices but 1000, roll on BB king impressions ;)

Half the price eh? Not bad. Buy it and flog it for €1500+ and then buy another one and an amp to go with it. Not a huge es fan though.

The landing strip neck is taking a break til I find me some money/job. I'm just having fun tuning the guitar down to Drop C. Mmmm, chunky. And how does anyone play with 12's at standard tuning?? It's impossible. I think I'll stick with my 10's for now.

Although I did shave the Epiphone neck down to the bare wood. Mmm, nice. Might take it down to a thinner neck though.

compulsive guitar fiddler, I get that a lot ,meself.

Im using .10's at mo but want plank set up for .11's

I love do dig in to my strings but I break them all time.

I always drop down half a step to get those fat string fat bends
    going.

Big strings, thick plectrums, not much distortion= big juno tone:)

I have a spare guitar that I want set up for .12's and a very high action but I intend that just to be for slide stuff , for the first time in years I figure its time to learn something new!.
    I got a big lump of wood called a westone Thunder in th loft I'd like to resurrect for old time sake.
    A man can never have to many guitars.

I know what you mean bout dosh thou, I m bustin me bollox and Im skint all the time, awww rip of ireland but I luv it here.mmmm

10's, half down(just for that chunkiness), nice rounded distortion, bit of delay, EMG85 in the neck - Feylya tone.

Or something. Either way, I might be doing a couple of songs Friday week at a gig. My old band is playing up here again and I might try and get in on a couple of songs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement