Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help recording progs on SKY digibox

Options
  • 20-07-2003 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭

help really needed guys, ive spent nearly 3 hours trying to record a programme from the digibox to to video casette and im having no luck at all

I have the following

Panasonic 21 inch telly
    panasonic Digibox
    philips video recorder

Ive done everything in the instructions in the digibox manual to set it up coreectly, but it wont bloody record, dunno what im doing wrong

i have a scart connection from the video recorder to the digibox and the a scart connection from the box to the teally. also have the aerial in the aerial socket, and a connection from the recoreder to the digibox and from the digibox to the telly, now when i goto AV! i cab see all the programmes thats autotuned to the video recorder, when i turn on the box the only channels that are available are the sky ones, ther not tuned in dunno why cause it says there ther on channel 29 on the recorder

im at my with flamin end, just want to record one programme tonight when im in work

Regards
    SHin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

It sounds like everything is connected properly. Simply set the video as normal and when picking the channel to record from select the scart input (usually AV1). Set the programme you want recorded in the planner and select Autoview (red button). This digibox will turn over to the right channel and you should be recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Make sure that you have the scart going from the VCR socket on the Digibox to the "input only" socket on the VCR..on my Philips VCR therefore, Sky is on AV2.

Then switch to the VCR shannel on your TV (mine is 0) and you should be set

(edit: ... when you also follow Shane's instructions :))

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭swoofer

1. Coax aerial goes to RF/aerial in on the digibox

2. RF out on digibox goes to aerial in on video.

3. RF out on video gors to TV coax aerial socket.

4. Now u should tune your video to all the RF channels that are routed through the digibox this will include the Digibox rf channel

5. The scarts are self explanatory but u may have to swop av1 and av2 on video. Bet the tv only has 1 scart!! but basically

A) VRC scart on digibox goes to scart on video, then 2nd scart will go from video to tv.

good luck.

gb--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭aersat

Shin

There is a device called the Phantom Pvr which connects between the Digibox and the Vcr which allows you to record from the Sky Epg auto view function.
    It will switch on your Vcr and Digibox record the Program and switch them both off again.
    You will not need to go near your Vcr remote once set up initially just put in a cassette.
    Try www.satellite.ie

Aersat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

thanks for all the helpo guys, everything was conected, but the instruction for setting up the vcr in the panasonic digibox manuasl was ****e, it had me connecting about 7 different cables all over the place.

i just went onto the net and digitalspy gave me the answer

regards

shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭spuddy

i'm also having a problem recording from the digibox, whenever i set the video to tape something from the digibox all i ever get is a blank screen on playback! as both the digibox and video are connected into separate scart sockets on the tv (and therefore not directly to each other) i wonder if this is having some effect. however i can tape perfectly when i dont set the video. any thoughts?

Spuddy,

The way you have it setup means that you are recording what is being displayed on the TV. Fine if you are watching something, but if the TV is off you are recording a blank screen. Connect the VCR to the digibox and the problem will disappear. Depending on your equipment, simply pressing play on the VCR should pop up the same channel on which you watch Sky. There's not really a need to have the VCR directly connected to the TV via scart.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Of course if the VHS has 2 scarts (one marked Sat or Decode and one marked TV you can connect VHS to digibox and TV.
    And Digbox to VHS and TV too.

The loop through digibox VCR SCART is good if your VHS has only one SCART or the TV has only one SCART.

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    Spuddy,

The way you have it setup means that you are recording what is being displayed on the TV. Fine if you are watching something, but if the TV is off you are recording a blank screen. Connect the VCR to the digibox and the problem will disappear. Depending on your equipment, simply pressing play on the VCR should pop up the same channel on which you watch Sky. There's not really a need to have the VCR directly connected to the TV via scart.

thanks for the reply shane,
    i suspect you are right about the tv being turned off, however the vcr doesn't tape what is simply displayed on the tv at any given moment, it will record whats coming thru' on the digibox while i watch one of the terrestrials. if i connect the vcr thru' the digibox i lose the 'smartlink' function on the vcr. besides the dvd player is run thru' the digibox.

Originally posted by watty
    Of course if the VHS has 2 scarts (one marked Sat or Decode and one marked TV you can connect VHS to digibox and TV.
    And Digbox to VHS and TV too.

The loop through digibox VCR SCART is good if your VHS has only one SCART or the TV has only one SCART.

OK let me try to clarify situation

TV = 2 Scart (1 RGB Scart)
    VCR = 2 Scart
    Digibox = 2 Scart
    DVD = 1 Scart

I get much better pic quality thru RGB scart, thus I have DVD thru Digibox to TV.

For 'smartlink' function to work, VCR must be connected directly to Scart 2 on TV (the non-RGB one)

Problems:
    VCR recording while TV is turned off, get blank screen

Blank screen from digibox if DVD is powered (must physically plug out from socket to get picture from digibox)

Solutions:
    ???

• Advertisement

Spuddy,

I am not too sure of what the smart link function does on your video or if you can live without it.

Unfortunately you seem to be stuck. What I would do is the following (and it is not ideal).

VCR -> Digibox -> TV (Scart 1 - RGB)

DVD -> TV (Scart 2).

I suppost it is up to how much you use the video vs how much you use the DVD player.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

"Smart Link" won't work via the TV from Digibox.
    You need to connect a SCART direct between Digibox and VHS.
    You need to edit the record time / channel to correct AV in on the VHS. Not an aerial / tuner channel.

Shane's right.

In fact this is nearly how my setup is wired, except my TV has a 3rd AV in on the front using RCA/Phono and I have the VHS connect via that direct to TV also (As well as excatly what Shane describes)

Also the VCR/SCART in/out on Digibox loop through deson't usually do RGB, only the Digibox itself out is RGB.

I cut pin 8 wire in my VHS <--> Digibox lead to stop playing a tape cutting out digibox (they might watch tape in a another room) and stop personal planner "firing up" Record on the VHS. I enter either manualy times or Video Plus and select correct AV on the VHS. (A JVC S-VHS),

Advertisement