Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will BBC become available on Irish EPG

Options
  • 20-07-2003 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

Whenever it changes in UK will it change in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

No, but from the end of July, when you put your card in upside down, all the beeb's will appear on the epg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

even to have News 24 and the radio stations on the EPG would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I use a friend's now expired NI sub card for this and get them all listed :) - its just SUCH a pity ITV and Five dont work (C4 I can live without)...oh well...but yea, this second-class treatment for Irish subscribers is annoying - still, they know that we don't really have much of an option (unless you wanna pay NTL for half the channels and - by all accounts - a generally shoddy service) so they can do what they like :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭West Briton

Judging from the reaction in another place where the usual suspects are throwing their toys out of the pram, it seems unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Seasoned posters here will remember that attempts to pester ITV for UTV to be placed in the Republic's EPG saw UTV cut off completely from ROI subscirbers. There are a number of reasons why such pestering won't work here. The BBC are not targeting ROI deliberatly by going FTA. The current postitioning of 214 & 215 was an agreement reached by BBC Worldwide and BSkyB. The only way the other BBC channels could be added on to the Irish EPG is via the same way and bearing the brunt of this would end up being Irish Sky subscribers. Would you want a sub with a less convenient way of accessing EPG channels or a more expensive sub to accomodate convenience?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

if we take our card out on 29 july will bbc 1 & 2 appear on 101 and 102

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

You don't have to wait that long, you can do it now. As I understand it, you have to put the card in upside down and reboot the box for the EPG to change however. You'll then get BBC ONE LDN and BBC TWO on #101 and #102, while the "normal" (for us) BBC ONE NI and BBC TWO NI will be listed in the 900s (TWO NI is currently on #962, to the best of my knowledge, I don't think ONE NI is appearing on the FTA EPG until end of the month).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Originally posted by icdg
    You don't have to wait that long, you can do it now. As I understand it, you have to put the card in upside down and reboot the box for the EPG to change however. You'll then get BBC ONE LDN and BBC TWO on #101 and #102, while the "normal" (for us) BBC ONE NI and BBC TWO NI will be listed in the 900s (TWO NI is currently on #962, to the best of my knowledge, I don't think ONE NI is appearing on the FTA EPG until end of the month).

Not quite yet.

The BBC channels are not scheduled to be on the FTA EPG until the 29th of July. So for the next week there is no way to get BBC 1 on 101 unless you have a UK sub or a FTV card. But from the 29th, turning the card over and repowering the digibox will geive you all of the FTA channels including all of the BBCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by Northern Correspondent
    Seasoned posters here will remember that attempts to pester ITV for UTV to be placed in the Republic's EPG saw UTV cut off completely from ROI subscirbers. There are a number of reasons why such pestering won't work here. The BBC are not targeting ROI deliberatly by going FTA. The current postitioning of 214 & 215 was an agreement reached by BBC Worldwide and BSkyB. The only way the other BBC channels could be added on to the Irish EPG is via the same way and bearing the brunt of this would end up being Irish Sky subscribers. Would you want a sub with a less convenient way of accessing EPG channels or a more expensive sub to accomodate convenience?

Well said NC.

The glass is half full. Dont knock it over and spill the contents down a plughole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭West Briton

I would agree with DMC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

slightly off topic but bbc 4 rules

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

So, from 29.7.03 all the BBC channels will be available on my Sky-sub Digibox when I put my Sky card in upsidedown???

Will be this permanent, even if I cancel my Sky sub???

If so it'll be the small matter of an analogue ariel on the roof and Goodbye Mr. Murdoch!!!ww)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Ozzie
    Will be this permanent, even if I cancel my Sky sub???
    Yes

(obviously nothing's guaranteed forever but well, yes, at least till 2007-odd (when the current arrangement runs out). The satellite doesn't know your box is in Ireland - you could have taken your box to the UK)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

:D

(enuff said)

Advertisement