Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking up is so hard to do...

Options
  • 18-07-2003 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

Getting interrogated by Mossad or Shin Bet or listening to a World Leader is pleasanter than cancelling Sky.

(OT: Of course you never *really* know which organisation is interrogating you. If they tell you it probabily isn't true... They didn't say anyway).

Not only do you need all the usual stuff (name, phone number, card number or account, address, mothers maiden name), but a password too.

You have to naviaget lots of layers of voice menu.

You get quizzed (even if you keep saying I want to *CANCEL*) about what you might like instead.

They tell you you will only have the Terrestrial Channels (A LIE).

They put you on hold wile they pass you to someone else, who wants the password again.

After more quizzes (How many are in your household?)

He says it will take a moment. You get put on SILENT hold (perhap they hope you will hang up?). After nearly 5 min he comes back and confirms it.

Should people have to undergo this Pyschological warfare to cancel?

They admited everyone cancelling wants to be able to blco channels and listings/EPG they don't want and take a sub with a smaller a la carte mix. I can't see them offering either of these options.. unless a lot more cancel.
    You can always go back. We cancelled before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ring up and tell anyone your cancelling remember the time and date then dont pay them anymore.

Simple in a few weeks they will cut you off.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Well a letter would be better....

However if you want to have "Choice" to subscribe and not risk credit black listing etc, its best to do it their way.

I'd have sent a letter instead, except I'd have to find the address.

The 1-800 number is on Services | Telephone Numbers :D

A Standing Order is easy to cancel, but Direct Debit can be tricker.

I wasn't anything I didn't expect so I did it while trying to regard the "warfare" as humourous.

When they told me I would have only terrestrial channels, I pointed out I would still have lots of TV plus 50 odd radio on Sky Digibox and 600TV and 500 Radio altogether on my mix of five Digital and Analog receivers piped around the house to all the TVs.

My son asked does the "you will only get Terrestrial" mean Sky send an Auto destruct command to Digiboxes now?

If they did I could sue them. They only own the card and copyright to the proprietary software.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

when they tried 20 questions on me a year ago i just told em i was moving to Australia.problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Thought it was bad enough just trying to downgrade a package - so now I have more to look forward to if I wanna get rid of them altogether :rolleyes:

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Ring up and tell anyone your cancelling remember the time and date then dont pay them anymore.

Simple in a few weeks they will cut you off.

kdjac

They won't cut you off unless you go through Watty's procedure.
    My brother rang up to cancel, but didn't bother with the layers.
    He *did* make it clear to the first layer that he wished to cancel with immediate effect.

They did not switch off the card.
    To complicate matters further , he had closed the account that, they had a direct debit on.
    So they billed him and kept the card switched on , despite two further calls to the first layer.

They then cut him off...BUT sent him a letter from a company called Legal and trade threatening action if they didn't get payment immediately:eek:
    That episode has not made me their number one fan...
    mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I'm going to be cutting off my sky sports and man u channel next week and I'll make the sky monkey( called win back team by sky) work for his money but will still cancel;)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

When I cancelled my card a few months ago, I was asked all sorts of silly questions so I just said I was leaving the country and moving to UK where I might sign up again ;)

Rep 1 put me through to Rep 2 who asked, oddly, the same crap, and got the same answers! I did end up with a viewing card with a full months viewing which just lay there as I had no longer use for it! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally posted by Man
    He *did* make it clear to the first layer that he wished to cancel with immediate effect.

To complicate matters further , he had closed the account that, they had a direct debit on.
    So they billed him and kept the card switched on , despite two further calls to the first layer.

They then cut him off...BUT sent him a letter from a company called Legal and trade threatening action if they didn't get payment immediately:eek:

Seriously bears repeating.. These kind of companies you do it THEIR way or you keep paying, get credit blacklisted and persued!

But insisting you'll only get Terrestrial after is bound to be breaking someone's law.

Have we an Office of fair trading etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by watty
    Have we an Office of fair trading etc?
    The Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs is the closest thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

you only have to change your viewing package to have a game of 20 questions. it is so frustrating. i found that the direct approach works best. tell them the channels are ****. it's a bit crude but the game stops after 5 questions :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

It's none of their effing business why you want to cancel. I'll be ringing soon as my box is going mad for its new card, so its not the end of the road for my BBC card just yet, I'm giving my sky sub the bullet instead. Greedy bazdardz!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by Man

That episode has not made me their number one fan...
    mm

This seems to be an all too common tactic with companies now. I too have had dealings with these charming people after vodafone refused to accept my cancelling of a phone account. They do it because it works, obviously some people give in and pay these bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I'am just after unscribing to my sky sports and Man U channel and my sub went from €57 a month to €26.99 a month, and surprisingly there was no hard sell to keep me The sky monkey was a rough spounding scotish lassie who could'ent give a **** but it wound'ent of mattered any way the sports channels have been crap since the summer started. :ninja:

Advertisement