Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

john 3:16 muppets

Options
  • 18-07-2003 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or does anyone else get annoyed by the muppets who always stand behind the goals at major gaa games holding up the john 3:16 signs.
    Why are they there? I realise it's a religious thing but in this day and age it has no place at a major sporting event.

What do other people think, am I alone in this one??

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Keep him in suspense ...

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by s8n
    Is it just me or does anyone else get annoyed by the muppets who always stand behind the goals at major gaa games holding up the john 3:16 signs.
    Why are they there? I realise it's a religious thing but in this day and age it has no place at a major sporting event.

I'm actually thinking of bringing a sign saying Satan 6:66 on it. Got a problem with that?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

s8n get a bible and read john 3:16

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

ammmm, never read a bible in my life I'm afraid (s8n by name and nature) I think it might be you must be born again or something, still can't see the relevence to sport??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

He's on a voyage of discovery ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

s8n you have to be a troll, no way can someone be so stupid.

seriously lads......fill me in here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

As far as I know, its the same guy every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life

Which roughly translates as Laois for the All Ireland.

well said.

However, he was in the hill again yesterday. Does he not annoy anyone else in the slight little bit??
    Why is he allowed in with that sign, surely if I tried to bring something that big in with something worthwhile on it like "laois for sam" I'd be stopped at the gate.
    Anyone willing to make constructive arguments on this one??

ps I do believe it said John 3.7 yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mr.white

s8n
    will you get onto me via e-mail dvds
    pjpj66bike@yahoo.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

I don't think there is anything wrong with someone bringing in those signs into games. Live and let live, and all that!
    And have you tried bringing in a similar sized sign with 'Laois 4 Sam' on it? I'd say you'd get through all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

its jahovas whitnesses or something, those signs have been up for years.

yep, I know but I don't think it's necessary in the modern game. Has'nt religion caused enough problems in this country??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

it is the same guy each time.
    i have no problem with him, it's like a Croker tradition at this point. Someone needs to hold up another sign next to him though with "Dublin 2-12" on it :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The business with the signs started in 1980, when Rollen accepted Jesus as his personal savior. Prior to that time his interest was in just generally being famous (or, as he puts it, being "the most famous person in the world no one knows about"). For years he was the guy you used to see on telecasts of golf tournaments with the wild multicolored Afro wig, which earned him the nickname "Rainbow Man."......

Read more about the guy who 'invented' the JOhn 3:16 signs at The Straightdope...

What's with those "John 3:16" signs that people hold up at football games? 23-Jan-1987

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_186.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Those signs have been up for years, I have been to matches loads of times and they never blocked the view etc, I think they only become an issue when people bring it up as an issue for others, does it really bother you s8n or do you think it might bother others? if it does not offend you then maybe you should let it go, I'm sure that if you made a complaint about it that that cops wouild have to stop the guys (like they do with flags blocking adds) then there would be uproar and the thing would get out of hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

same guy every game.

just dont ask him what it means....can turn nasty very quickly ;)

a complaint about it that that cops wouild have to stop the guys (like they do with flags blocking adds) then there would be uproar and the thing would get out of hand.

hmmmm, interesting, might be well worth looking into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 wobble

The guy who does this was interviewed on some show a few years back. He is just a normal guy who believes in God. I am not sure what happened to him but he got great strenght form the bible. He used to have a different passage from the Bible (not sure of the number) but is was a page long or somthing and when he was ever asked about it it was to much to quote. This started with him years ago. He now has a few people who help him out. That is why you can see the sign at two matches in the same day (He is not Father Xmas after all).

I wish I could remember more about the interview. i think it was nationwide or some show like that it was defo not the news anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

IM not religous or anything but the guy isn't doing any harm. I guess in this PC world you must have people like him banned :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 wobble

PC world... that is the problem. I mean soon it will be wrong to be sarcastic because it will not be PC. I mean in a PC world this thread would be banned for calling someone a muppet. we do not want to upset the muppets after all!*

But also the one way to look at it this...

If he paid money for a billboard space behind the goal that would probably be acceptible. Thus only ideas backed by money are PC? Or so it would seem.

I mean is advertising alcohol acceptible at a major sporting event? Why? because they pay for it? So does that mean that tabacco is ...

Advertisement