Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you used the new card?

Options
  • 18-07-2003 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been cut off yet and had to use it?Im fairly sure it says on the leaflet it came with to wait until the old card expires.It must be 4 months since we got it by now and its still sitting on the mantle piece.Attached to that leaflet it looks like junk mail-I wouldnt be surprised if half the cards have been accidentally thrown away.
    And did you notice in the ad that the peope are watching sky news when the messagecomes up and the picture goes?Seeing as Sky News is FTA I doubt that would happen in reality.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭medja

I got mine at the start of march (i think) and have still to put it in. Not only that but the message to change the card has not appeared once since the 11th of july. I am waiting because of my FTA card. So this is what it feels like to live on borrowed time.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

on the ad it says to insert it straight away. i didn't bother because of the FTV card but then an annoying message started to appear every 2 minutes :( so in went the new card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 David Robinson

Originally posted by Tha Gopher
    Seeing as Sky News is FTA I doubt that would happen in reality.
    Well, you wouldn't expect it to. However I had the warning message 2 days ago on my FTV box, and it appeared on ITV1, C4, C5 and Sky News, but not on any other FTA channel I tried (BBC, CNN, Travel). I don't think this is significant however - I can't imagine Sky would encrypt Sky News, as it acts as a barker for Sky services, especially not now that News 24 is FTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Indeed Sky may encrypt Sky News to make a FTA system less attractive!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

ha d to put in the new card. Because of that annyoing message that came up and the brother kept going on about it so i done it.

I then tried the old FTV card but no luck.

I got my new FTV card activated on the 9th of July and keep getting the message "seeting up new card" every time i swap them.

Bit warry of swapping too much as dont wanna break the FTV card as i cant get a replacement.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by watty
    Indeed Sky may encrypt Sky News to make a FTA system less attractive!
    To be honest, I'd choose BBC news 24 over Sky news any day.
    So encrypt away Sky, it doesn't matter.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

On my letter it said please use the card immediatly. And I did - as I was getting those pop up messages (I only got my card last week!!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

I don't agree that BBC News 24 is better. Since SKy news active has gone full screen I have found myself watching it non stop.It is a superb channel when being watched interactively.

Maybe the time is right for them to make it part of the Rubbish(family)pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

I've noticed in the last few days that I get a message saying there is a problem your card this occurs on channels such as ITV and Ch4, it goes after reinserting the card and all is fine. I'm a bit worried that its more than an error in inserting the card and that these channels may become unavailable even with FTA card even a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

BBC World is great though, makes News 24 look amateurish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

e it?Im fairly sure it says on the leaflet it came with to wait until the old card expires.
    Popped it in the minute it arrived.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

And did you notice in the ad that the peope are watching sky news when the messagecomes up and the picture goes?Seeing as Sky News is FTA I doubt that would happen in reality.

I think Sky News uses the card to an extent to differentiate which version to list on the EPG.

IE UK cards will have Sky News UK on 501 whilst ROI cards will show Sky News Eire on 501.

Advertisement