Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price flights. Weird pricing?

Options
  • 17-07-2003 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I'm still looking for a flight (for Asia) but the prices are unreal. What is getting me though I am seeing seats on the exact same planes which vary by as much as €700.

Why is this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

Could be a number of reasons. Take your pick from:

Fare restrictions,
    Negotiated contracts,
    Real-time availability
    GDS inconsistiencies,
    GDS connections to individual airlines,
    Routing restrictions,
    GDS optimal pricing,
    Travel Agent preferred carriers,

and probably a couple of others I can't think of right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Or it could be lying in general.

I am not kidding. I have tried 5 places now that had good prices and all of them were "Sorry we don't have that flight anymore, but here is another for X amount" (X=much more expensive).

what gets me is they continue you advertise the flights at the cheap price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

Well, to say they're lying is a wee bit of a broad generalisation, the original advertised price is quite likely to be 'subject to availability' - and it isn't available for your exact dates. But that doesn't mean it isn't available at all.

Of course, that said, they could be lying too, but without any examples it's very hard to say...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Indeed subject to availability, however if you point out or they point out to you that the airfare you want is not available they shouldn't leave the price still on the system.

An example?

ebookers had one for 890, which I tried to book and failed (timed out) and was told when I contacted them if I tried to book again it may not be available. I try again and it's there but when I went to book it finished and told me it was not available and to pick another (which was much more expensive).

However when I checked just this minute the exact same flight is marked as available.

I went with dialaflight. They did the same thing, however even thier marked up price was the cheapest of the lot I had contacted.

Actually I used to have this same kind of thing when I was in the US. I would book from American Express who would give x2 the price of a flight I could find on the net. When I mention the price on the net they would offer thier flight for less then I quoted.

Advertisement