Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Dublin corporation skate park in Glasnevin

Options
  • 16-07-2003 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

My friend got this form from his friend and its for a free skte park from Dublin corporation and he has to get 3000 signatures from whoever will sign it.Did anyone else here about this so called "free skate park"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭shag

Havn't heard anything about it .What details do you know? It'd be Fingal county council doing it if its in Glasnevin , I'll see what I can dig up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

If it is true that if we gey 3000 signatures then i will get 2 A4 sheets and bring them I into G1 and collect them the next week.So far we've gotten signature on 2 a4 sheets so if we can get more it would be a god send.Thanks man,I will check around the files of Dublin corpo and Fingal council.I will post whatever I find here.

I searched Google and it came up about a document file but only msword can open it but I dont have dat on my computer so one of you check it out if you want.

Theres only a few things I could find the fingal county council feasability study (bog roll) and a mention or two of skateparks in council meeting minutes eg.....

Q84.
    COUNCILLOR NIAMH COSGRAVE
    Would the Manager order a survey with a view to providing skateboarding facilities in St Anne’s Park and make a statement on the matter.

CITY MANAGER’S REPLY:
    A pilot skateboard facility project has been approved for Bushy Park. Based on a satisfactory outcome of that pilot project, consideration will be given to the possible provision of such a facility elsewhere within the city. Such proposals will be subject to funding and other commitments.

I couldn't find anything specifically about a skatepark in Glasnevin.
    If you post the web address for anything you come up with post it here and I'll have a look at it.

This is what I found.

This is the html version of the file http://www.dublincity.ie/profile/020708/020610.doc.

• Advertisement

That entry was the typical cut and paste that appears in a number of council documents.ie.

Q31. COUNCILLOR CHRIS ANDREWS
    Can the City Manager please outline what the City Council need to do in order to
    facilitate the building of a skatepark in or around the Dublin South East area.

CITY MANAGER’S REPLY:
    Dublin City Council’s Central Claims Unit and Irish Public Bodies Mutual Insurances Ltd., have both advised that the provision of a skate park is inadvisable for the following reasons:
    1. Safety Issues/Insurance Costs
    (a) Adventure sports by their nature are considered dangerous.
    (b) Participants are exposed to injury.
    (c) The majority of potential users of the facility are likely to be under 18 years of age and, therefore, would be considered minors in the event of civil actions. This would lead to higher awards being made by the Courts.
    (d) Insurance cover is expensive and insurers will only offer cover for single claims in excess of €317,500. Therefore, provision would need to be made in the annual estimates from which potential claims could be funded.
    (e) Constant supervision of the facility would be imperative.
    2. Development/Management Costs
    It is estimated that the development of a small skate park would cost in the region of €150,000 - €200,000. Annual operation costs would be approximately €60,000 for the provision of staffing, security and equipment.

Its pretty gay how Ireland hasnt got that many outdoor parks where as across the puddle in britan they have a BIG one in London in the centre of the city.But what the fingal council could do would be to have permission slips issued to the skaters under aged and sign it saying they do will not sue if an injury occurs.And we could sign in everytime we go there so at the end of each month we could pay even though the park would be free that money would contribute to the insurance cost:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Well London is London, you know part of a country with a well established skate scene, a way bigger population than ours and cock loads more cash:mad:

People always tell me about the outdoor parks here but I've never seen any.

Theres only 3 outdoor parks Galway, Waterford and Kilkenny.See my site for more details .
    www.geocities.com/irishskateparkforum/index.html

My little cousin told me that the park was built so Im going to check it out when I can if hes not waffling onto me

• Advertisement

Im heading down to the skatepark tomarrow hopefully if the weather is good to me and if it is there I will update you on it.

Where exactly is this skatepark meant to be? I can't really see Fingal county council building a park and no one hearing of it till now especially after the feasability report they came up with where they figured that a skatepark would cost nearly half a million to provide!
    Hope I'm wrong though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

Originally posted by shag
    Theres only 3 outdoor parks Galway, Waterford and Kilkenny.See my site for more details .
    www.geocities.com/irishskateparkforum/index.html

well i wouldnt call galways skatepark a skatepark as it only has 3 objects in it!

Quaterpipe/grind rail/phoneboot(or what ever they are:/

there is spose to be a indoor skatepark being built around the west side area but im not sure.

Advertisement