Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Wives Guide

Options
  • 01-08-2000 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

This is an actual extract from a Home Economics textbook, printed in the early 1960's. Absolutely unbelievable. Men will love it. Women today can't believe it actually existed..... but it does - SO LISTEN UP, WOMEN!

The Good Wives Guide.

Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready on time for his return from work. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favourite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.

Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you will be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh looking. He has just been with a lot of work weary people.

Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.

Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. Gather up schoolbooks, toys, papers, etc, and run a dust cloth over the tables. During cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order and it will give you a lift too! After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction!

Minimise all noise. At the time of his arrival eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet. Be happy to see him. Greet him a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.

Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first, remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

Make the evening his. NEVER complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner or other places of entertainment without you. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure and his very real need to be at home and relax.

Your goal: try and make sure the home is a place of peace, order and tranquillity where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.

Don't greet him with complaints and problems. Don't complain if he's late home for dinner, or even stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through that day.

Make him comfortable. - Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him. Arrange the pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.

Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgement or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and integrity.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeh, saw that email going around a while ago... it's amazing how far we've come.
    Thanks to the great lassies who stood up to 'da man' and said 'I can do it too'.
    I think guys are less prone to being loud bigoted as$hole bullies when there's a few ladies around.

What's this now? (TM)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Originally posted by Chubby:
    Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him.

It's everyman's fantasy come true!!! biggrin.gif

I must agree with Santa - it's amazing that this really was the way it was!!!

My Aunt was a home economics teacher (retired early last year). I must ask her about this... wink.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Originally posted by Kharn:
    I must agree with Santa - it's amazing that this really was the way it was!!!
    You make it sound like it was a bad thing wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Pff, and they call this progress ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by Chubby:

Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first, remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

Make the evening his. NEVER complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner or other places of entertainment without you. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure and his very real need to be at home and relax.

Don't greet him with complaints and problems. Don't complain if he's late home for dinner, or even stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through that day.

Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgement or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and integrity.

proper bloody order!! if only women would follow these wise words the world would be a much better place smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭tr1n1ty

Home Economics - glad I ditched that subject......

Actually, I fling the door open, if I happen to be home ahead of him, and welcome him to the chaos known as home. As he trips over the dolls pram in the hall and goes roller skating on a toy fire truck, I tell him dinner is in the freezer and I'll have a G&T with ice and lemon when he's ready.

How things have changed!!

To Infinity and Beyond!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

My gf was rummaging through some old stuff in her parents house and found a 'Good Guide to Kissing' book written in the late 60's.

It was the funniest thing Ive ever read with gems along the lines of......

'Get closer to her on the couch, if she moves away...dont be alarmed, move closer. Try and trap her at the end of the couch...and when you feel the time is right....KISS HER!. She may seem shocked at first, maybe even squirm a bit, but thats just their way...hold on and kiss her for all your worth! Of course if she starts scratching at you and screaming it might be worthwhile backing off for a tactical retreat.'

Its is without a doubt THE most sexist...and I have to say, funniest reads Ive ever had smile.gif

Ill post some more funnies when i get another look at the book wink.gif

Snaga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

The most sexist thing i EVER came across was written by a woman...

Valerie Solanas' (unsure of spelling to be honest)pamphlet entitled Scum.

It was written in the early seventies and has among other wonderous idealisms that men who help the women track down other men and kill them will be treated with dignity by the women and be allowed to kill themselves for being a man. What a nut case. She's the chick who shot Andy Warhol by the way. She'll be turning in her grave if she heard me calling her a chick I'd say. Very enjoyable read I must say.

So lads out and kill yourselves there like the pawns that you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by Snaga:
    , maybe even squirm a bit, but thats just their way...hold on and kiss her for all your worth!

erm.....rape????

You'd be sued for less than that nowadays. Thank god for alcohol smile.gif

Advertisement