Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat newbie needs help!

Options
  • 14-07-2003 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    I'm new to this stuff, and looking for some help.
    My parent's house has existing analogue terrestrial TV only (no cable/sat/mmds/digital) and I want to install satellite Freeview for them, but keep the terrestrial UHF.
    The analogue feed runs directly from Ant to wall plate via conduit.
    I propose to install RG6 from Sat dish to wall outlet in existing conduit. Am considering installing 2x outlet wall plate.
    (How am I going so far? ):confused:
    This is where my confusion lies:
    Can I get a satellite receiver that will accept 1 input from the LNB, and another from the UHF feed? And modulate them both such that the freeview and terrestrial channels can be selected with the receiver remote?
    I.e. a satellite receiver that functions as a diplexer!
    This is really for the benfit of my folks, where the less remotes/complexity the better.

Or am I looking at 2x diplexers, 1 at each end? To combine/split the 2 feeds on a single run of RG6?
    Any help/suggested alternatives greatly appreciated.

Cheers:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Hi, welcome to boards.ie
    The pace minibox will do this or you could use a palcom or similar with a separate modulator which will combine the UHF and video outputs to give 1 x sat RF signal plus whatever UHF you fed into the system. You select one channel on the TV for sat recption and the others stay as they are using normal tv remote. Use CT100 cable instead of RG 6, much better quality and use F sockets on the wall plate. No matter which way you do this you still need two remotes unless you use the pace minbox with programmable remote.

Good luck
    Originally posted by Scotty
    Hi,
    I'm new to this stuff, and looking for some help.
    My parent's house has existing analogue terrestrial TV only (no cable/sat/mmds/digital) and I want to install satellite Freeview for them, but keep the terrestrial UHF.
    The analogue feed runs directly from Ant to wall plate via conduit.
    I propose to install RG6 from Sat dish to wall outlet in existing conduit. Am considering installing 2x outlet wall plate.
    (How am I going so far? ):confused:
    This is where my confusion lies:
    Can I get a satellite receiver that will accept 1 input from the LNB, and another from the UHF feed? And modulate them both such that the freeview and terrestrial channels can be selected with the receiver remote?
    I.e. a satellite receiver that functions as a diplexer!
    This is really for the benfit of my folks, where the less remotes/complexity the better.

Or am I looking at 2x diplexers, 1 at each end? To combine/split the 2 feeds on a single run of RG6?
    Any help/suggested alternatives greatly appreciated.

Cheers:D

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

FORGET RG6...

CT100 minimum. Aviod wall plates, or just use it for TV aerial. (Unless assured by expert it is OK model. Even some of the TV ones are old 405 VHF deisgns unsuitable for UHF. )

The Sat receiver modulator simply passes the Aerial signal to its RF out without change. It does not tune any Analog signal.

The selected sat receiver channel is on SCART (RGB, Composite or posibly S-Video) for diect connection to video recorder and/or TV (usually two scarts).

The RF out can feed TV aerial socket or TV in other rooms etc.

The Digibox remote can be programmed to control your TV. non-Sky Satellite receievrs don't.

NO diplexers.

The Satellite receiver uses a separte F-type connector for the Coax cable from the LNB on the Dish

rear of typical receiver

O        ________       ________      
        O        \_______/       \ ______/     O          (o)    (o)

Audio      TV SCART       VCR SCART   LNB      TVout  Aerial IN

A Sky Digibox has two RF outs/TV outs

No satellite receiver tunes or does anything with the aerial signal except add one extra RF channel, the current Satellite channel.

In same room the SCART is preferable (Sharper, less noisy, stereo etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

So what you want basically is the aerial and dish output at the TV point. This is possible. I believe it requires a non standard wall plate to un-split the sat signal and the UHF one. I am not sure what type of connection is used to combine the signal up near the dish/aerial.

There are a few other things you could do. If you can get two runs of RG6 cable through the conduit then this would obviously be the best solution. There is a new slightly thicker satellite cable that is used in the UK for sky + installations. This cable has a twin core so may possibly suit your situation.

Talk to a professional installer and they should be able to advise you further.

Regarding the multitude of remotes, you can always buy a "1 for all" which you can easily program to operate TV, Video, Satellite.

no don't put both down one cable. It is possible, but FAR better two separate cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

The purists have spoken. :D

I have found the RG6 is fine for my set-up. It is also alot easier to get hold of than CT100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    The purists have spoken. :D

I have found the RG6 is fine for my set-up. It is also alot easier to get hold of than CT100.

Not true you can order it online :D what could be easier. Nothing purist about it , its simply a superior product.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Scotty

Wow, that was quick! :eek:
    Thanks to everybody for their replies.
    FTR, I think I'll go with the ct100 cable, based on reviews both here and elsewhere.
    This idea of the 'programmable remote' seems intruiging.
    Again, I stress that the concept of a single remote is a much better option for my folks.
    Anyone used the Pace programmable remote mentioned by Tony? And if so, what did you think? Does it simply emulate the TV remote á la 'One for All', or is the channel switching done at the satellite receiver end, like a VCR?

Thanks for the help so far. I'll doubtless be back.;)
    Esp. when it comes to the quotations & purchasing stage.

Best regards to all!

The "Sky Digibox" remote has a TV button.
    At any time the volume buttons on it control TV volume.
    When you press TV the text, coloured buttons, number and CH+ /- work the TV, When you press "Sky" they work the digital sat receiver.

"Out of the box" it works a Philips. You press a sequencxe of buttons once for your TV. (No problem with my Salora, NEI, Mitsubishi etc).

I have a couple of "one for all" universal remotes they can do some Digibox features or control most settings on my other Satellite receivers + TV plus VHS.

My PC based Satellite receiver is the other way around. It does come with its own remote, but on PC you can have it learn any "RC5" remote you buy or already have assigning any button to any function.

Basic "Universal" remotes are preprogrammed. (€10 to €30) You pick the library device and it mostly works it. Depending on model you can control VHS, TV and Satellite. Some will controll up to 8 devices (DVD, HiFi etc also). They can be installed even if original remote is lost or broken.

"Learning" universal remotes are more expensive. Some require the original remote. It then "learns" (stores) the commands from it. Usually you can assign any command to any button and assign a sequence of original presses to one button press (Macro). These can be from €60 to €300.
    One model even uses an LCD touch screen so when you change from TV / Sat /VHS the buttons displayed change.

Advertisement