Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incompetent Sky Install

Options
  • 14-07-2003 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend of a friend.

She had a Sky install done a few months ago, and the installer made a real mess of things.

He disconnected her analogue TV aerial and used its downlead as the downlead for the Sky dish. Due to various problems this meant she was without TV for a week and without Irish channels for even longer.

Now, the socket on the wall of the living room which was presumably the aerial socket now just has a wire sticking out of it. This wire is then linked to another wire using a very dodgy bit of wiring (not insulated at all) - this wire then goes into the back of the digibox.

The digibox is connected to the phone line, but the wire is left trapesing over the floor, not tacked into the skirting board. Someone could easily trip on it.

In addition to this, she wants to use a different cabinet for her TV, but the cable into the digibox cannot be removed. On mine, the cable can be easily disconnected by screwing it off, but on hers it is stuck.

The installer was supposed to return to fix this last problem on several occasions, but missed each appointment. I suggested that she should really insist that her aerial is re-attached and that the phone line installed properly at the same time.

Not only is this annoying for her, the fact that people get away with this sort of shoddy installation means that they will do it again.

Any suggestions as to what she should do to get things fixed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Don't tell me stuff like this. It makes my tummy hurt..

She should ring Sky and complain. I hope they blacklist him.

Anyone who does a job like this is in the first place is very unlikely to be competent to fix it.

Simply paying someone to fix a mess like that and do it proper ought to cost at least €200 for time and materials. (Don't forget travel time, labour involved running satellite cable properly etc).

You wouldn't have confidence dish is properly bolted on or correctly aligned or LNB joint cable sealed. (Mind boggles as how the "top end" of existing aerial coax gets to LNB and is connected).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Hi Watty,

Thanks for the Reply.
    Originally posted by watty
    Re: Why put *MY* name on the post!

Since you seem to know a lot about these things, I thought I'd draw it to your attention.

And it worked!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Certainly ring Sky and complain - cowboy installers like this affect their own good name. As watty said, with the state of the wiring in the room where the TV is, can she be really certain that the dish isn't going to blow down and hit someone on the head some day?

(& I'll bet there's a quick and dirty job done taping the top of the coax that used run to the aeriel to another cable running to the dish)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Why put my name on the post too? Your friend has my symapathies but there is little point in complaining here, tell her to get back to sky or whoever did the install to sort it out . Failing that cancel the payments.

Tony

Originally posted by sceptre
    Certainly ring Sky and complain - cowboy installers like this affect their own good name. As watty said, with the state of the wiring in the room where the TV is, can she be really certain that the dish isn't going to blow down and hit someone on the head some day?

(& I'll bet there's a quick and dirty job done taping the top of the coax that used run to the aeriel to another cable running to the dish)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Originally posted by Tony
    but there is little point in complaining here

:confused: I thought that's what people did when they had a problem with Sky.

I certainly got useful information in reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by Richard
    :confused: I thought that's what people did when they had a problem with Sky.

I certainly got useful information in reply.

An installation problem caused by a disreputable installer, how could that be solved here???? Fix the problem at the source

Off on holidays, hope your friend gets sorted.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Originally posted by Tony

Off on holidays, hope your friend gets sorted.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Who ever changed thread title thanks. I wouldn't like someone glancing and thinking Watty+Tony = Incompetant installers :D

;o)

Originally posted by watty
    Who ever changed thread title thanks. I wouldn't like someone glancing and thinking Watty+Tony = Incompetant installers :D

;o)

I changed it - and wish I'd had it like that in the first place!:D

Advertisement