Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Napster To Shut Down :-(

Options
  • 27-07-2000 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭

Napster is to go offline midnight on friday, american time i think. They lost a cout battle today and were accused of making the music industry lose $300m per year

*sigh* frown.gif

-Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

what amuses me most is that the recording industry thinks that this will stop people trading music.

mabye in the very short term, but technolgies are on the way, or around already, that will fill the void.

Its like firing pebbles in rapid succession at an oncoming train; it may scratch the paintwork and make a few dents, but the train keeps coming.

Bands like Metallica seem to think this approach will be successful smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Its good to see metallica do badly. It seems all their current fans date from the time they moved out of the thrash metal era into the mtv generation - their own private sell-out. So screw them, its obvious they want the money. (Is there anyway to get an image like the thumbs up one, but showing the middle finger?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭NakedBibleReadingMan

noooooooooooooooooooooooo. now we'll havto buy the songs that we are always too embarresed to buy. wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

u mean we will have to buy the telly tubbies album in hmv, oh god no. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

Shame frown.gif I got a lot of cool songs off of Napster but I only really used it to get pieces of music which are unavailable in my county or very rare. I did not really bother with new releases.

So the pope puts down the Badger and leans over to me and says , " My son , sometimes you talk a lot of ****. Knock it off." Before I could speak in walks Christopher Lloyd with a time machine under his arm and just then...it started to get weird...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭OmiOmi

Heheh.. .teletubbies in HMV =D That would be something.

1. They can never stop the mp3 industry. Everybody knows somebody that has a kickarse collection of mp3s and gets in all the time

2. there are apps like napster out already by other names but are quite illegal tho.

3. LAN parties... wtf do they think we do exept playing games?

4. Metallica sux00rz m4h nutz00rz. They are so lame. "Napster hurted my pinky toe.... uuuuuaaaaa!! " Lamerz

5. There are still pages like www.mp3sound.com and more like that which offer mp3s that are on the top20 on every country.

6. Napster was more for the people that wanted old music or hard to get music as Thunderingmike said. Sure people leeched new music too. But it still sux compared to the old one =D

7. We rule. They s-u-c-k. That simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Gamblor

I agree with Mike , I has taken me Months of searching to find the one song i wanted ..
    The Battle of the planets opening theme ( with out any voice over) and i got it last week off of Napster ..... My 2 little brothers are devistated as they have been collecting all the WWF enterance Music ...
    ahh well guess Diablo 2 will be getting played a WHOLE lot more now !!! smile.gif

***** Feel my Evil Neon Claws *****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭OmiOmi

yup!!!! More diablo2!! =D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

20000728l.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

This is as good as napster
    http://capnbry.dyndns.org/gnutella/gs.php

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Word is Gnutella's Servers died cause of overloading!!!

But, GOOD NEWS!!! Spinal Tap have their very own MP3 Exchange software - www.tapster.com will sort ya out!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

[This message has been edited by Kharn (edited 28-07-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭*Rebel*

"Napster wins emergency stay

Federal appeals court says Napster can keep operating"

YAY Napster is still in operation! smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Kharn, Gnutella doesn't have servers, it's totally peer to peer.

Napster needs to be shut down. It's illegal, and however much you lot bl33t and whinge about Metallica or whatever, it's still piracy and it's still theft, and there is no excuse whatsoever for the existence of software like Napster. It is only due to a legal loophole that the author of Napster isn't facing jail time.

You're right tho; digital music won't die overnight. However, there are legal models (one clever one being the digital music equivalent of a pyramid scheme in micropayments) of music distribution online, and they will gradually replace MP3. And besides that; MP3 is of stereo CD quality now, but as we all get used to 5.1 encoded DVD-A music tracks, won't that sound a bit crap? And you can bet your life that the music industry will have hooks in DVD-A audio to prevent encoding...

At the end of the day, though, it boils down to something really simple - buy the blasted CDs. "I use it for music not available in my country" is a pretty lame excuse too - if you have access to napster, you have access to any number of websites that import music from other territories to Ireland and the Uk....

Ja,
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Shinji Shinji Shinji
    You're missin the point here, its simple they're just to cheap to buy the CD's tongue.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

All you napster fans be happy

NAPSTER GETS A REPRIEVE
    In a surprise ruling, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals delayed the shutting down of popular file-swapping site Napster. Napster now has until Aug. 18 to explain why a previous court order to close the site should be permanently overturned. The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) wanted the injunction as part of its copyright infringement case against Napster. Lead Napster attorney David Boies argues that Napster users are legally sharing their own property and protected by the Audio Home Recording Act of 1992.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Penfold

They can never close napster down completely.

Go to www.napigator.com and download the software.

This allows you to cnnect to any napster server you like. And not only that, but it contains user servers, which cant be shut down, the courts can only shut down the servers owned by napster,

So if the courts do so, you can still trade songs using the user servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Advertisement