Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

non-sky equipment to get Digital FTA

Options
  • 12-07-2003 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

I'm seriously wanting to avail of the new FTA channels from the BBC - and I'm not particularly interested in paying out huges buckets of cash to Sky.

I've seen on satellite.ie information on boxes and dishes to avail of the channel (BBC Free view dish and receiver etc.).

How good are these products and how easy are they to use, I mean, without the Sky EPG, will one get completely lost?

I'd apprecaite any info/feedback anyone has on using non-sky equipment.

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by ciderandhavoc
    I'm seriously wanting to avail of the new FTA channels from the BBC - and I'm not particularly interested in paying out huges buckets of cash to Sky.

I've seen on satellite.ie information on boxes and dishes to avail of the channel (BBC Free view dish and receiver etc.).

How good are these products and how easy are they to use, I mean, without the Sky EPG, will one get completely lost?

I'd apprecaite any info/feedback anyone has on using non-sky equipment.

Dave

Well the palcom simply gives a Channel list and will tell you whats on now and a descrption of the program running time etc. Given that there are not hundreds of channels on Freeview this is not so bad to use. The alternative is to use a sky box but its not claer yet whether the BBC will become available on Irish EPG's without a viewing card inserted.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SKY have an EPG - take it or leave it - anyone know how to flick between two channels more than 4 apart easily ?

FTA recievers - you control the channel listings - after the first scan (or download via serial cable) you can hide all the Dross and put your favorites at the top of the list. - some allow you to have multiple favorites so several people can have thier own choices.
    They usually have a now/next listing on each channel and you can book mark a program -not a series link - more of a reminder for "same bat-time, same bat-channel"
    they will also allow you to look at other satellites & transponders that are not on either of the main frequencies ...

They will not decocde SKY encryption , yes SKY could release a CAM to do this but since they haven't you can take it as read that they won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭jister

Surely the best thing to do is just to buy the sky package for the year and get the subsidised install. You could cancel the whole lot after a month (I've heard Sky will never come after you anyway)

Incidently I was visiting my parents the other day and the Chorus reception was dreadful, I tried explaining the FTA thing to them, but no, they would prefer to keep getting fleeced by Chorus every month so they will still have the UTV / CH4. The mind boggles.

Originally posted by jister
    Surely the best thing to do is just to buy the sky package for the year and get the subsidised install. You could cancel the whole lot after a month (I've heard Sky will never come after you anyway)

Thats pretty reckless advice to be giving out, where did u hear this down the pub?

You sign a contract and if you break it its called breach of contract, it may also affect your credit rating. The mind boggles

Tony

Originally posted by Tony
    Thats pretty reckless advice to be giving out, where did u hear this down the pub?

You sign a contract and if you break it its called breach of contract, it may also affect your credit rating. The mind boggles

Tony

Actually both the guy who sold me sky and the guy who installed it both told me that Sky don't bother coming after you because the value is so small. I wouldn't do it myself because if you burn your bridges with Sky you can't go back to them in the future.

They also told me that it was ok to plug out the phone line if I wanted to - which I have done and I haven't heard anything from Sky about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Actually both the guy who sold me sky and the guy who installed it both told me that Sky don't bother coming after you because the value is so small. I wouldn't do it myself because if you burn your bridges with Sky you can't go back to them in the future.
    Sky well might not come after you. If not, they'll send you a few letters, give up on you and sell your debt to a debt collection company who'll happily pursue you for the sake of a few hundred quid or far less and might not be too nice about it either.

The box is worth over €200 hardly small, If you read the contract you will see that your liability is over €300, now it may well be that the would do nothing but i dont think its wise to be advising others to test this theory. If you unplug the phone line and it fails random callback the retailer is charged 65€ plus VAT.

Tony

They also told me that it was ok to plug out the phone line if I wanted to - which I have done and I haven't heard anything from Sky about it.

Originally posted by Tony
    The box is worth over €200 hardly small, If you read the contract you will see that your liability is over €300, now it may well be that the would do nothing but i dont think its wise to be advising others to test this theory. If you unplug the phone line and it fails random callback the retailer is charged 65€ plus VAT.

Tony

Why would they charge the retailer €65? That sounds a bit harsh on the retailers, since its not their fault if punters disconnect the phone line.

I have seen people advertising around here in the local press "mobile phones catered for" whats that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

what if your foneline was in use at the time of a random call back?

does it recognise an engaged tone? as opposed to a no tone

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

It doesn't matter. I've had Sky now since April 2002 and the phone cable has never been plugged in !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It will retry automatically.

The phone line was not originally a contract requirement in Ireland. Now it is for *SUBSIDISED* installs for 1 year or for Mirror subs all the time.

If you want to cancel before the year (say 9 to 11 months) Sky might be open to negotiation.

Stopping payment at once will get you credit blacklisted. You would be very likely persued for €300.

You can downgrade to value pack. The Install, Dish, LNB and Digibox is worth more than cheap install fee and a year of value pack.

Originally posted by watty

Stopping payment at once will get you credit blacklisted. You would be very likely persued for €300.

Do you really think that sky will get their money back if they go after low life scum. I doubt it.

Why would they charge the retailer €65? That sounds a bit harsh on the retailers, since its not their fault if punters disconnect the phone line.

I have seen people advertising around here in the local press "mobile phones catered for" whats that about?

Sky have never been a particularly fair company to deal with.

Tony

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes Tony is quite right about this as the local rep has told my boss the same some months ago. I guess it's to ensure that installers fit a phone line, though Sky haven't accounted for people who will disconnect the line once the installer leaves, though I figure Sky don't care what their installers think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

Yes Tony is quite right about this as the local rep has told my boss the same some months ago. I guess it's to ensure that installers fit a phone line, though Sky haven't accounted for people who will disconnect the line once the installer leaves, though I figure Sky don't care what their installers think.
    quote byte

if you tell the average satellite viewer that the digibox will self explode in ten minutes if they take out the telephone line they will believe you,so I do not think that the retailers have to fear getting a fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

anyone know how to flick between two channels more than 4 apart easily

the only thing i can think of is favourite channels

sky pursued me for under €200, debt collection agency the works and i was with them 3 years they will go after you if you owe them money

Advertisement