Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A quesiton to Astra/Hotbird's FTA channels viewing irish community!

Options
  • 11-07-2003 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all,

i have recently tuned to Astra/Hotbird satellites and after spending few days on them, i have come to know that there are 99% non-english channels over there.
    Though i am not irish, but i dont understand anyother lang other than english. So, my question to you is, how do you watch all those foreign language channels (i am assuming most of us just know english). If u dont watch those then how did u manage to tune to english channels. As far i know, there are very few english channels over there.. (CNN,BBC,CNBC,MTV and one two more).

ps: some ppl may say, most of these channels are broadcasted in different languages(mostly 6), but i couldnt see that option in my case. Only one or two channels have this option (MotoTV was one of them).

Thanks in advance

TS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

These are not personal preferences, just a list:

Channels with English (or some english marked *, lots #)

Arriang TV (Korean)
    * CCTV
    # DW TV
    Ebs (About EU. News feeds and documentaries)
    Euronews
    BBC World TV
    # Nile TV
    Motors TV
    Bloomberg English
    CNBC
    CNN
    C-SPAN VOA feeds in English (often 2) from USA
    Travel
    Daimler Chrysler TV

The arab channels often (Oman etc) show US shows and films in English with Arabic subtitles

Arte, the hibrow German/French channel sometimes has English or silent movies

Also
    Sailing
    Game (with out the text messages on UK version so you see the console/PC demo bigger)
    Various Sport such as Nouvlari, DSF, Eurosport in German

Lots of POP video Channels (MTV Central, MTV2, viva, viva Plus, Viva Polska, Coundown, Magic, etc etc0

Lifestyle such as Alice, Leonardo (In Italian), TV Moda or Fashion TV.

Classical musch concerts on some German stations

Polish Drama with English Subtitles (!)

Various English Religious stations.

Andalucia & Canaries TV can have interesting travel or music programs

BR Alpha has english programs (Kind of German equivalent to origianl idea of BBC2)

Football / sport etc.

German movies more explicit than Channel 5 (allegedly).

Or you can watch RAI1, 2 and 3 and think perhaps Irish TV is brilliant!

Free TV5, Al Jazeera etc unlike Sky pay versions
    Also France 5

Almost certainly not an exhuastive list.

The Radio is even better
    Jazz
    Rock
    Soft POP
    Classic POP
    Classical music
    Heavy Rock
    Dance

About 400+ FTA radio.

Also many are the stations traditionally with English programs on Short Wave:
    BBC World Service
    Radio Canada Int.
    DW Radio
    Swiss Radio

You'd need schedules to catch the English on some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Theres loads of film channels with english soundtracks (provided you have the necessary sub) and if you do have french theres lots to listen to.
    Slovene and Croatian tv also carries a lot of english progs with subtitles in their local language.Not bad..

I dont move from Hotbird much tho Sirus has lots there too over on 5east. Its down to prefs and location too ie footprint/. No astra2d where I am.

Advertisement