Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKY Digibox Question

Options
  • 10-07-2003 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Can I set it up so that my VCR output via scart can be input into my SKY digibox and then I can view the VCR output thru some channel on the digibox???

The reason I want to do this is:

I want to use my PC to watch divx/dvd/powerpoint etc etc and I cannot plug directly into TV (for many reasons too long to explain)So I thought, grand I'll plug it into the SCART on the VCR and then that worked brilliantly except after about 5 minutes of inactivity the damn VCR goes into standby mode and u have to flick the channel to get it back. The only other alternative I can think of is to route it thru the digibox therefore the digibox wont go into standby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by deepspeed
    Can I set it up so that my VCR output via scart can be input into my SKY digibox and then I can view the VCR output thru some channel on the digibox???

No - but, it may loopthrough when the Sky box is on Standby - I'm sure watty'll know.

An alternative would be to buy a cheap SCART switcher from Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

Dont think a scart switcher would work... what way were you thinking of using it???

Oh and I've done a bit of research and have found out that I can get it to work with an RF modulator.

Any ideas where I could get one of these and how much??

Mr Local Electrial shop?

cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by deepspeed
    Dont think a scart switcher would work... what way were you thinking of using it???

Yes - I think I misunderstood your problem - I thought your TV had no spare scart sockets. If that was the case you could feed the output of the Scart switcher in the TV - the switcher would then have the video etc as inputs.

But if not, an RF modulator would do the trick - though the quality of the picture would suffer slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

If the vcr is a Philips one switching to stand by after 5 mins is a feature you can turn off.If it is i have a manual somewhere i could check for you

Originally posted by andyeire
    If the vcr is a Philips one switching to stand by after 5 mins is a feature you can turn off.If it is i have a manual somewhere i could check for you

Hmmm,

Its actaully a Mitsubishi HS-820V

I'll have a gander now too...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by andyeire

This is probably getting a bit off topic now, but anyways...

I had a look around, and this VCR doesnt appear to exist anywhere on the net :(:(

It does appear however to be exactly the same as an "SBR" video that I know of (the onscreen displays are the same).. and I believe the SBR is a rebadged Philips, so hopefully as you said, the feature can be switched off.

All that happens when you press the "Install" button on the front of the VCR is a blue screen with the following 6 options:

Clock,
    OSD,
    Channel Allocation,
    Channel/Frequency,
    Manual Search,
    Autoinstall.

Any Ideas anyone?????

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I use an old Samsung VHS as a RF modulator for my PC. Never goes Standby. It has 2 SCART, front phono AV in and extra 3 rear phono/RCA AV out.

Maplin sell RF modulators.

Even the ones with a L and R audio in still do mono. All RF modulators do mono.

Or buy an old (or get one from TV repair shop) VHS. Usually the head ware out, or cassette loader or such and Tuner / Modulator and possibley Nicam decoder fine. (Boot sales, relatives, ma\rket etc)

One old VHS I junked it and took out RF modulator, tuner head, IR receiver etc for "projects".

Hills Components (on web and catalogue, do mailorder by phone too) do a VERY cheap £5 4 Way metal boxed 4 way SCART switch. Curiously the SCART common is reverse wired meaning you need either a rewired SCART for Audio & Composite (RGB not affected) or a SCART to Phono cable and use Phono to SCART with phone inline couplers.

Advertisement