Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kusadasi, Turkey

Options
  • 10-07-2003 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Anyone been to Kusadasi in Turkey? Heading over there next week for 2 weeks... any tips on what to do and what not to do? How much is the beer over there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

I was in Kusadasi a few years ago! If you are a beach person, then you will be very dissapointed as the beach is man-made! However, this didn't affect me as I hate the beach and just relaxed by the pool...

Also, it is in very close proximity to some of the Ancient wonders of the world, so make sure that you go the Pammukula (spelling is probably wrong) and Euphesis - old ruins where Cleopatra frequented!

It's very warm around this time of the year as well which is nice...

Also, for night-life, there is an "old town" and a "new town". We didn't know about the old town at the time, but it seems that the bars and stuff there are very good....the old town however is ok in itself and is essentially a street with lots of Irish and English bars and clubs down it.... You will be hounded, as you are everywhere you go by people trying to get you into the pubs...

Hope that helps anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

thanks voodoo! heard ephesus is amazing all right. anyone else got any opinions?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Bar street is alright for about 2 days, after that all those greasy Turks will annoy the hell out of you trying to get you into their bars.

Yeah Ephesus is near it and a great place to visit.
    Packed to the rafters with tour groups so if , you're there you just tag along within hearing distance of an english guide.

I didn't think much of Kusadasi itself though.... a hussle and bussle ordinary city. Hire a car if you can and head down the coast and have lots of Raki if you are not driving :P
    Beware of the local tradition if you are driving, they flash lights and beep the horn when passing, instead of using the indicator...

We were based way down in gumbet and Bodrum (and only drove up to Kusadasi to have a look) which are by far more lively and there was this huge outdoor club...my turkish isn't great but it sounded like a greek name..halikarnasis or summit...t'was in a big colleseum (sp)
    One thing I would recommend is gettting on an island hopping boat cruise.
    I'm sure some will run from kusadasi.
    The ones we took were from gumbet and were all day affairs, loads to eat, loads to drink and great crack :)
    mm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Halikarnos, biggest outdoor club in the universe blah blah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

All I can say is be prepared.
    If you've been to Spain or Portugal, turkish resorts are nothing like that!
    If you arrive at 5am in the morning be prepared for something while has a very middle eastern feel. Think of the building style in beirut/palastine. Whitewashed square buildings with lots of overhead dropping electrical cables. In the light of day it improves a little.
    Also the Turks, are very very very pushy. They will follow you to get money off you. They will sell you all kinds of s**t and although its not my style, you have learn to say f**k off, because they don't take no for an answer.
    The beaches are terrible. They import sand, so make sure you've got somewhere with a really good pool as most of the pools in anatalia are sea water and about the same size as a bath, due to archaic plumbing. Dont eat lettuce or any salads unless you know its been washed in bottled water. Don't brush your teeth with the water either.
    Have I got anything good to say about Turkey, history maybe and the fact I have family over there, and the sun, I would definitley recommend a Turkish bath and a boat trip/diving, but that's where it ends really.
    Ohh, and never ever put toilet roll in the toilet but it in the mini bin beside the jax, if you don't, even once, you'll find your apartment swimming in s**t.
    What I've heard...Bodrum is nice, Kusadasi is ok, two mates went last year, "effes" costs 80c and is a very nice dark beer by the way

Thanks for that Bug, they're the first bad comments I've heard about the place but thanks anyway. Beer for 80 cents is good enough for me anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

If you go to Ephesus -bring lots of WATER!! & a sun hat, its boiling there, worth the visit. Get the trip that includes Pammukula & bring your swimming gear, beautyfull pool in bubbling water (thermals) its like swimming in 7up!
    If you get the overnight deal the hotel should be the hersonis (I think thats the name). That hotel has a 40 deg c pool. Its so hot you need to get into the jacuzzi first to warm up.
    get the turkish bath...I think I'll go back...

Is it an ok place to bring the girlfriend to? Do many other couples go there?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Couples are OK. Ladies get attn if they're single, same as any other place

• Advertisement
Advertisement