Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its Thursday 10th and still no BBC

Options
  • 10-07-2003 8:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

I thought they were goin FTA today!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Me too. Checked News24 and others around 7.30 this morning and I am still getting the 08 message.

Anyone any better luck having tried later on??

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

A few weeks ago on the interactive pages BBC made reference to changes on the EPG as a result of going FTA. There was nothing like that last night or today so I had suspicions.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

BBC1's BS and TW are FTA, watching on non-digibox. 10819 v 22000 5/6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by SRB
    BBC1's BS and TW are FTA, watching on non-digibox. 10819 v 22000 5/6

I stayed up till after midnight last night to see if the channels would go FTA but no joy. I think I checked all the channels last night, but I only tried a few this morning so I must have missed Bristol and Tunbridge Wells.

I'm surprised that they are still encrypted given that the contract has presumably run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jmcbride

Originally posted by Richard
    I'm surprised that they are still encrypted given that the contract has presumably run out.

Perhaps there is a short overlap between the moe to FTA and end of the encryption contract, or Sky are giving the Beeb a couple of days of grace, in case they decide at the last millisecond to come back inside the tent.

I'm a little surprised by the impatience some have shown. Not just here, but also on DigiSpy, there has been a remarkable level of disgruntlement that it wasn't possible to tune into the BBC channels the second that Wednesday ticked over into Thursday. Aside from the fact that such a move might have cost the Beeb a fortune in overtime to expensive engineers, presumably they wanted to trickle out the channels piecemeal, in case any unforeseen technical problems arose.

I have my Lyngsat printout (http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/skyuk.shtml), and when I get home this evening, will spend a few excited minutes filling up my Other Channels list. But even if they're not all available today, I'll only have a limited cause for complaint, because we're effectively getting something for nothing in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by Richard
    I stayed up till after midnight last night to see if the channels would go FTA but no joy. I think I checked all the channels last night, but I only tried a few this morning so I must have missed Bristol and Tunbridge Wells.

As I understood it, 6am (when the TV day starts, unless you are ITV, its 9:25 am :D) was the time when the ball started rolling, and as you can see, it took a few hours for all to come through.

Advertisement